Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Heater hose & spark plug wire routing

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater hose & spark plug wire routing

Over the weekend I have replaced the spark plugs and installed new spark plug wires. It is a 1997 base with a 4.2L V6.
I have two questions.
1) What is proper spark plug wire routing? I found it like this:

Could someone post a picture showing the proper wire routing?

2)
the heater hoses are just hanging in there, that explains the lack of heat... I couldn't find the inlet on the engine. Where should those two hose connect?
I plan to do a pressure check on the heater core, as I assume there was a reason why someone disconnected it.

Last edited by bzoli; 05-12-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:55 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

those pics are weeeee tiny.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:50 PM

Received 5,550 Likes on 4,627 Posts

Yea the heater core is bad. That's really the only reason why it would be by-passed IMO.

The hoses, feed and return are on the heater core itself. The feed and return on the engine, -

Heater core hardline, the FEED line (or inlet) is in back of the engine between the passenger side head and intake. That hardline routes from behind the water pump to the rear of the engine.

The Return line taps the manifold itself. Pretty close to where the feed is. It should be very visible.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by twoskinsoneman
those pics are weeeee tiny.

I won't argue ... I will fix it. Don't know what happened with those yet.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jbrew

Yea the heater core is bad. That's really the only reason why it would be by-passed IMO.

The hoses, feed and return are on the heater core itself. The feed and return on the engine, -

Heater core hardline, the FEED line (or inlet) is in back of the engine between the passenger side head and intake. That hardline routes from behind the water pump to the rear of the engine.

The Return line taps the manifold itself. Pretty close to where the feed is. It should be very visible.

1)
I have the right ignition coil to spark plug connection. The truck starts and idles fine after I installed the new plugs and wires. I bought a pdf manual which has the same picture you inserted.
My question was how to route the wires around the engine. They are just hanging there. Presume there should be proper place for the wire, clearing moving or hot part. Currently just doesn't look OK to me. I will post bigger picture to see it properly.

2)Heater hose.
Thanks for the info. Based on the location and length of those hoses I looked for the engine feed and return connection around the waterpump. I will take a second look around the back of the engine close to he fire wall.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:12 PM

Yea no connections by the water pump. That's not what I meant. The heater core hardline BEGINS there. I posted that info so you don't accidentally get the feed and return mixed up. Hey, it's happened before lol.

As far as routing, yes, I misunderstood, but think I help can there, -

Well, it's 4 or 5 picture diagrams lol.

Tell you what, I save to word temporarily. It does show routing and holders. PM your email and I'll send it to you.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Yea no connections by the water pump. That's not what I meant. The heater core hardline BEGINS there. I posted that info so you don't accidentally get the feed and return mixed up. Hey, it's happened before lol.

As far as routing, yes, I misunderstood, but think I help can there, -

Well, it's 4 or 5 picture diagrams lol.

Tell you what, I save to word temporarily. It does show routing and holders. PM your email and I'll send it to you.
Thanks the wire routing is clear now.

I still have to find the heater feed and return connection points on the engine. Probably it is circled back with a hose. I was looking for two terminated outlet.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:17 AM

Is this the right picture showing the engine connection outlets?
Old 05-13-2015, 09:35 PM

Yea it does look like the 4.2L's connect in the front. It is, sorry about the confusion. That's where it was bypassed. Your not finding any termination because there isn't any. From what I can barley see, - they took one of hoses and just looped it, connecting the inlet and outlet together. Yea I can just see the hose where that was done (front of the engine.) Then they let the coolant just drain out of the HC and those lines on top..left it like that lol. That's why it didn't need terminations. Those lines on top just go to the heater core.

Notice just the one rubber pre bent hose hanging there ? There would be two , but they used it to loop the in/out together like I said, - front of the motor (under the air intake/throttle body.)

It needs a heater core, can just about garanty it. So you nee to install a heater core, then it's a matter of disconnecting the looped hose at the in/outlet (under the intake) and reconnecting that to the HC line. You can't see the in and out because there's a hose connecting the two. Know what I'm saying ? Here's what it looks like without the hoses connected yet, -

Quick Reply: Heater hose & spark plug wire routing