Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hard to start

Starting a few months back, the truck takes a little time to start when it has been sitting for a while. It seems as though cold weather affects it more, but that may just be coincidence as it's colder in the morning when I start it after it hasn't been running for 10-12 hours.

Hopefully I can explain this right. It is turning over fine, there is nothing that sounds like the battery is weak. It almost feels like there is no fuel at first. After the truck gets running, I can immediately turn it off and start it back up without issue. The other day, when I left work, the truck took the longest time ever to start and once it started it was running very rough for a few seconds before it started idling correctly. There was a strong smell of gas in the air. So now it seems like maybe I am getting gas, but no spark. The truck runs fine once started.

I don't know if it is related, but over the holidays when I was doing a lot of interstate travel, it would feel like there is a slight miss when running 75 MPH and I hit the gas. I wouldn't press hard enough to cause a downshift, but enough to where I can hear it sucking in a whole lot more air if that makes any sense. It doesn't do this miss at slower speeds and I haven't noticed it since that one particular trip so maybe that was bad gas or something.

I replaced the battery around October so it should be in pretty good shape. The problem started before the battery was replaced. I have also replaced the fuel filter around September, maybe before I noticed the problem. The truck has ~88,000 miles on it and I changed the plugs at about ~65,000 miles. I haven't done anything else other than routine oil changes, transmission fluid changes, and axle lube changes. I am not getting a check engine light.

I swear the truck has a sensor in it that knows that it is almost paid for so that it can start acting up

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:25 PM

Default maybe i can help

Hey man,
its probably one of two things. first rule out the quickest one. try starting it one time while flooring the gas pedal. its posible that your Idle Air control valve is sticking when cold. if it starts up then its more then likely that. its on the side of your intake manifold, one electrical connector and two 8mm bolts and a gasket. good idea to replace the gasket. If holding the pedal to the floor doesnt help then its a good possibility that its something in your fuel system. probably the pump not holding pressure. if you know someone with a fuel pressure gauge hook it up, turn the ignition switch to run and the pressure should go up to about 30-40psi. let it sit for a while and see if the pressure is holding. if it drops then replace the pump assy. hope i could help.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the tips. Fortunately I haven't had the truck running all day and it's supposed to get cold as a witch's you know what here tonight. I'll give the gas pedal trick a try in the morning.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:12 PM

Holding the gas pedal in did seem to make a difference. It didn't take nearly as long to crank, but there was a slight hardness about the start then a quick rev up until I let off of the gas. I replaced the IAC and cleaned the throttle body with throttle body cleaner. Cleaned all electrical contacts with sensitive electronic cleaner and cleaned the MAF using it as well. I left the battery unplugged for 30 minutes and touched the negative cable to positive terminal, somewhere I read that it will help clear the computer. I then restarted with headlights and heater on. I also read on another fourm that it was a good idea to do that when replacing IAC and resetting the computer. The problem is still there. I inspected all of the lines that went into the throttle body and didn't notice any cracks. Some looked a little weathered, but definately none were cracked. I'll try to locate some fuel pressure gauges this weekend and see what I can find out.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had similar problem with my truck even though the started tested good at Autozone and O'reilly's I heard it drag a little after it finally started so I changed it thinking wth going bad anyways I thought for sure it was a fuel problem I had same symptoms and it fixed it right up.. new one I put on drags to for some reason but she fires right up nonetheless!

I had changed the EGR, ECT sensor, checked Vacuum's, replaced Battery, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump, Plugs wires, Rotor and Cap, Oil changes inspections, and also the Idle control valve.

You can also Probe test the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) with a Multi-meter or use the meter to check your Alternator if it's weak. Simple way is to just watch your voltage meter on the Instrument panel to see if your battery goes from roughly 12.6v with engine off to roughly 14.2-14.7 with engine on to see if it is keeping it steady and regulated cause it has a regulator on it start turning on all your accessories. A/C, Stereo, Brights, Flashers, ect. It should keep it above the natural Battery Voltage of 12.6.

Best thing to do especially for you in this thread I'm assuming your truck is new enough for OBDII codes i'd go to get them pulled. Even with no light cause I didn't have one and still had a code on my Ol' 94 F150. They get pulled free at O'reilly's and Autozone(the zone only does OBDII O'reilly's has the attachment for the OBDI's if your truck is old enough for those.)

Still Green to this myself this was my experience anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong somewhere!
Old 07-12-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow this post is old my bad didn't look at date

Quick Reply: Hard to start