Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Gray milky oil.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gray milky oil.

I just changed my rotors and brakes (front) on a 1997 f-150 4x4 4.6. L Now there is a gray milky oil coming from somewhere and it's on my caliper and spaltered in my wheel well. Any ideas? Does front dif oil run to the boots on the front drive axle?
thanks

First time poster
Jason
Old 08-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Romp It!

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

sounds like brake fluid(that needs to be changed btw)
Old 08-21-2012, 11:06 PM
RDNK150

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

when you did the brakes you compressed the piston in the caliper back that forces the brake fluid back into the reservoir cap on or off the fluid would leak out and onto anything and everything underneath so the gray fluid could be brake fluid it has a very unique smell and texture to it

it could also be from a rubber hose to your caliper if you let it swing back to the ground when you unbolted it from the bracket so I would check for a spongy/non existent brake pedal...
that be the case you are looking at about 2 hours worth of work to replace that hose and bleed the brakes

could also be grease from axle boots... but grease is a lot thicker and you'd know it

my recommendation is to grab some brake cleaner (2-3 cans) and clean off everything and drive it for a bit and then go back and check wherever the fluid is wet there is your leak or if there is no leak then it was just residual fluid from your recent brake job... always check the fluid level in the reservoir when your done
Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tugs90
when you did the brakes you compressed the piston in the caliper back that forces the brake fluid back into the reservoir cap on or off the fluid would leak out and onto anything and everything underneath so the gray fluid could be brake fluid it has a very unique smell and texture to it

it could also be from a rubber hose to your caliper if you let it swing back to the ground when you unbolted it from the bracket so I would check for a spongy/non existent brake pedal...
that be the case you are looking at about 2 hours worth of work to replace that hose and bleed the brakes

could also be grease from axle boots... but grease is a lot thicker and you'd know it

my recommendation is to grab some brake cleaner (2-3 cans) and clean off everything and drive it for a bit and then go back and check wherever the fluid is wet there is your leak or if there is no leak then it was just residual fluid from your recent brake job... always check the fluid level in the reservoir when your done
My thoughts exactly!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:04 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Milky oil sound like water contaimination, start at the last place first, when you pushed the pistons back into the caliper, you disturbed all the dirt and any moisture build-up you had in your brake system, your truck probably hasn't replaced the brake fluid or calipers in a long time. You also have another thread about your a/c system, 10 of us might give you 10 different options, invest in a good maint manual and save yourself some headaches. Alot of maint/repair manuals are available on-line. Good luck and enjoy the wrench turning.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for the info guys, I alway enjoy doing as much of my own work to my truck as I can. This is a great forum for me to take on some more difficult jobs.
Thanks.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Wyoming F-150 Owner

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check those pistons. Had to replace the front calipers on an 03 F350 yesterday due to the rubber boots around the piston leaking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gray milky oil.