Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

General Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default General Questions...

Ok, I am new to this website, my name is Josh and I recently bought a 1998 F-150 XLT. I love my truck, it has 125,000 miles on it and recently I have done an oil change and radiator flush. Transmission fluid is still pink. So my question for you guys is, should I take it into a shop and have them go through it completely. Check the tranny, engine, AC, etc? When I bought my ranger, years ago, I had to replace the tranny a year later, then replace the rearend. I just dont want to have to do this with the F150. I have checked the codes, and the only one was for the EGR, which was replaced. It runs really well, and a lot of power, just curious if you guys think I should do. I am not very mechanical so any info would be great.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normally I do that before I purchase a used vehicle so that if I find anything wrong, I can use that as a bargaining tool. I don't want to screw anybody over, it's just finding the actual worth of the truck in its current condition so that I don't get stuck with a money pit. In your case I would definitely recommend bringing the truck in and having it gone over. Have the mechanic take it for a test drive, there are alot signs of possible problems that can be identified just by driving a vehicle and a good mechanic will be able to identify them. U-joints, brakes, fluids, and corrosion would all be good things to get checked.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:57 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Minimally, it'll need "100,000 mile service" which means a new serpentine belt, plug check, brake and suspension check (ball joints, control arm bushings). You don't know if the previous owner handled preventative maintenance in the last year of ownership, especially if the intent was to sell the truck due to something wearing out, and was through with investing in it. So, having a TRUSTED mechanic or dealer go over it is worth the investment There are a ton of knowledgeable folks on this forum that can help you out - once you get that "report."
Old 03-01-2012, 03:07 PM
resident post whore

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

i would get it checked out man
Old 03-01-2012, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever you do don't let someone talk you into a tranny flush, a rebuild will follow shortly after.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I disagree on the trans flush with a filter change. We do trans services everyday. Vehicles with well over 150,000 miles on them. Nasty fluid comes out an new fluid goes in. Then we drop the pans change filter and refill with trans fluid. We have a machine to flush it with. We do a 20 quart flush. We have never had a customer complain that it messed anything up. And I can only recall us repairing 1 transmission and it was because a rear seal was leaking and the customer swore up and down the service caused it and we happily had it fixed for him it was on a f250.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:12 AM

Thanks guys. I have a friend that works at a service Dept. They are gonna look. I didn't think I needed a tranny flush because it was still pink, not dirty. Your right about what the previous owner did or did not do. The belt looks good and I was gonna check wires and plugs soon. I guess I was more worried about the rearend going out or something big like that. Thanks again.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by louie83814
Thanks guys. I have a friend that works at a service Dept. They are gonna look. I didn't think I needed a tranny flush because it was still pink, not dirty. Your right about what the previous owner did or did not do. The belt looks good and I was gonna check wires and plugs soon. I guess I was more worried about the rearend going out or something big like that. Thanks again.
If your worried about the rear end, you may as well change the oil in it. Pop the cover off and drain it. Hit it with some brake cleaner to get all old oil and look over all the gears and such very well and should see that they are sitting well with no abnormal wear.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:21 AM
resident post whore

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

check the brether hose and make sure that its not broken
Old 03-04-2012, 12:06 AM

What's the berther house and where us it located? Sorry I'm pretty new to this.

Quick Reply: General Questions...