Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Fuel Eco mods and personal results for 5.4L Triton V8

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Trigger Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Eco mods and personal results for 5.4L Triton V8

In the near future I am planning on doing several upgrades to my truck to increase performance and fuel economy. I have read several threads regarding this and have gotten mixed answers. Some say all the money you put into increasing your fuel economy doesnt gain you much mpg. Others say just by adding a programmer they are seeing 2-3 mpg gains. And others say its all about driving habits.

I want to see what kind of results YOU are getting from the mods you have done. Please list what mods you have, what kind of results you have seen from them, and whether or not you have lead foot.

This is what I plan on doing...

Cold Air Intake
Exhaust
Edge Programmer
Electric fans
Tonneau Bed cover

Later on I might consider underdrive pulleys and removing the 70lb spare tire that I will probably never use. Im sure when I will need it I wont have it though.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:47 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Electric fans got me an extra 1-1.5 mpg since Ive done them a few weeks ago. I am at about 14mpg, that is with a lead foot! My CAI and exhaust was done before I got the truck.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:55 PM
RDNK150

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

With my CAI tonneau cover no spare tire and an edge programmer that i just bought and synced up last week off of my first tank of gas I averaged 18mpg city and 19-20 highway but that's driving speed limits and feather footing off red lights and stop signs with normal driving I'd expect the same results I didnt go to empty I don't like my truck past half a tank so I'll do a full up tomorrow and give you a heads up within the next few weeks
Old 06-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Romp It!

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tugs90
With my CAI tonneau cover no spare tire and an edge programmer that i just bought and synced up last week off of my first tank of gas I averaged 18mpg city and 19-20 highway but that's driving speed limits and feather footing off red lights and stop signs with normal driving I'd expect the same results I didnt go to empty I don't like my truck past half a tank so I'll do a full up tomorrow and give you a heads up within the next few weeks
2 or 4wd?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:11 PM
RDNK150

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

4x4 XLT 5.4
Old 06-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Trigger Mike

Originally Posted by 01BlueCrew
Electric fans got me an extra 1-1.5 mpg since Ive done them a few weeks ago. I am at about 14mpg, that is with a lead foot! My CAI and exhaust was done before I got the truck.
Sweet! I will be doing this mod as soon as the UPS truck comes with my package Are you using dual fans or just one?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Trigger Mike

Originally Posted by tugs90
I've got an edge programmer coming in the mail tomorrow. Is it pretty easy to work with? And what settings are you using?

When I drive I usually feather foot from stationary and cruise to red lights and stop signs. Im hoping to get around 20-22
Old 09-02-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 1,180 Likes on 1,070 Posts

nice truck!
well driving habits play a large part in fuel economy.
from what i hear, various other mods can help as well though. a tonneau cover should help unless it weighs so much as to remove it's aerodynamics advantage. a lighter tonneau cover should help, i'd recommend a hard (but light) one. your exhaust system certainly plays a part in fuel economy, and a better one will increase it somewhat. an exhaust system that lets the exhaust escape as easily as possible should help fuel economy as well as be easier on your engine. a couple other things you mentioned, I really don't have much experience with or knowledge of to say anything.
but good ideas. hope it works out good for you .
-Zach
Old 09-02-2012, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you guys get the edge programmer? How much did you pay? And did you get Te older style or the newer style with the color LCD screen?

I found the older style for cheaper and it comes with the dash pod mount but is it the same performance wise as the new one?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 160 Likes on 148 Posts

I have an 02 screw got it in April with 150,000 mi first nod was a K&N fipk it got me about 1 mpg, I just finished my e-fan and haven't run a full tank through it yet so I'll have to let ya know when I refill. By the way I have a 4x4 5.4 all stock accept for the 2 mods I mentioned and my last tank before the e-fan all city was 12.7 mpg. Let us know if your programmer works out.

Quick Reply: Fuel Eco mods and personal results for 5.4L Triton V8