Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Front Brakes Pulling to the Left

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Front Brakes Pulling to the Left

I have a 2000 Lariat 2WD with about 94k miles on the clock. I noticed that it was pulling to the left when I applied brakes, and it got worse as time went on. I checked the front brakes and since the pads were getting thin I replaced them. Rotors didn't look bad so I left them alone. Both calipers compressed easily and smoothly when I installed the pads, but it still pulled to the left. I drove it for a couple thousand miles hoping the problem would go away, but no luck.

As plan B, I replaced the front rotors and wheel bearings. With the old rotors off, I saw that there was some pitting on the inboard sides of both rotors, and the driver's side was a little worse. I thought I'd found the problem, but again no luck.

As a last resort, I swapped sides with the pads, but this didn't make a difference either. I'm running out of ideas. I don't think it's the calipers because they compressed smoothly when I installed the pads, and both wheels spin easily and equally when I have the front end in the air.

Any suggestions on where to look next? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

get an Alignment
Old 03-12-2014, 09:25 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not much of a mechanic but maybe this will help you a little. I had a bronco with the same problem replaced pads rotors and calibers but was still having the same issue. I know that doesn't tell you what's officially wrong but from that experience I would say it is definatly not the calibers. I do agree from the above I would try an alignment. If you have a firestone close by they used to have a life time alignment deal was a little more expensive but you could always take it back in as Long as you owned the truck and they would redo the alignment at no charge.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

An alignment is on my to do list for this spring. I'll let you know if that does the trick. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:12 PM

Received 141 Likes on 134 Posts

I had this problem with my 97' 2WD except it was pulling to the right. Turned out to be a warped caliper IIRC
Old 03-12-2014, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's not an alignment issue. It's a caliper, slider pin, or hose issue. If both calipers compressed easily and seem to be working properly, then replace the front brakes hoses, and make sure the sliders are sliding smoothly with little effort. If not, replace them. One of the hoses likely has a tear on the inner liner.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kohrs93:
cfauvel (09-17-2022), Cmanjr (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Kohrs93
It's not an alignment issue. It's a caliper, slider pin, or hose issue. If both calipers compressed easily and seem to be working properly, then replace the front brakes hoses, and make sure the sliders are sliding smoothly with little effort. If not, replace them. One of the hoses likely has a tear on the inner liner.
Really ??
Old 03-12-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a rubber brake hose that goes directly into your front calipers. Sometimes the rubber will break down and won't allow the brake fluid to flow properly Into the caliper. It will go in slower and come out slower. I had that problem on my 98 f150. Replaced the hose and it was good to go!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

antoher thing to check is to lift the front end and have somebody inside pushing on the brake, as you lean on one tire at a time have them release the brake and see if it drags. compare both sides and if one side is slower to move then you problem is on that side. if both move the same then I would start looking at the brake hoses
Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it's pulling left, the problem lies on the right side. The right side is not grabbing like it should.

Quick Reply: Front Brakes Pulling to the Left