Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Ford F-350 making cracking sound when pressing the gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford F-350 making cracking sound when pressing the gas

I have a Ford F-350 2002 Dually 7.3 and I am having a problem with this truck... I am hearing a cracking sound from the back almost like a cracking like you crack your knuckles... This only happens when I press on the gas... I have rebuilt the transmission about 5 months ago.

Changed all brakes today,
Checked all rotors,
Calibers,
Diff. fluid,
Engine oil,
Trans. oil,
Brake fluid.

Everything! I don't know what to check next. We spent all day checking on it. Still making this sound. Any help? Thanks everyone!!
Old 01-31-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 182 Likes on 168 Posts

We might try helping most of us don't know stuff like this but I know why you are here.. The super duty forum on here is dead as heck.
The following users liked this post:
XxSharp_ShooterxX (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 12:07 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

This could be your rear springs making this noise. You most likely are running your dually empty, right? If so, there is nothing holding the springs taught, so they then to creak and moan. The factory spring clamps sometimes break and can cause some sounds to transfer into the cabin area. When you accelerate, you place weight on the rear, causing the springs to bind some, and give you your noise. It could also be a rear pinion bearing (front) that is dry and noisy. This rear end has an inner pinion bearing, but those rarely, if ever, go out.

If you can put it up on all 4 stands and listen to it with someone in the drivers seat, you will know quickly if it the bearing. Those are a couple of the simple things to check. It most likely is the springs, unless the rear diff has a lot of miles. Then I might go with the pinion bearing.

Last edited by akdoggie; 02-01-2016 at 12:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
XxSharp_ShooterxX (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordfan2006
We might try helping most of us don't know stuff like this but I know why you are here.. The super duty forum on here is dead as heck.
Yes!

Originally Posted by akdoggie
This could be your rear springs making this noise. You most likely are running your dually empty, right? If so, there is nothing holding the springs taught, so they then to creak and moan. The factory spring clamps sometimes break and can cause some sounds to transfer into the cabin area. When you accelerate, you place weight on the rear, causing the springs to bind some, and give you your noise. It could also be a rear pinion bearing (front) that is dry and noisy. This rear end has an inner pinion bearing, but those rarely, if ever, go out.

If you can put it up on all 4 stands and listen to it with someone in the drivers seat, you will know quickly if it the bearing. Those are a couple of the simple things to check. It most likely is the springs, unless the rear diff has a lot of miles. Then I might go with the pinion bearing.
I have a trailer on it at all times... With a bunch of construction tools and mixers in it... I also forgot to mention we did check bearings. This is so odd to me why its making the sound!!
Old 02-01-2016, 10:29 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

If you checked the bearing, I'm sure you checked the gears when you drained the rear diff and refilled. Is it Limited Slip? If so, did you add the additive? If not you could be hearing the plates making the groan you are describing. Don't believe the fluids that say they have it in them. Add the Ford (or Torque brand) of additive. Fords/GM and Dodge require the additive with the fluid. If there isn't enough of it, the plates go freaking nuts and make ungodly sounds. Just thought I'd throw that into the list of things you have done or should of done. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Ford F-350 making cracking sound when pressing the gas