Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Finally did the Escape Navigation radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:05 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Default Finally did the Escape Navigation radio

Yesterday, I finally found the time and energy to go ahead with the installation of the Escape (2007 model) navigation radio, into my 1998 F150. It was a fairly easy install, with the only bit of problem was cutting the hard plastic inner panel, inside the dash. it has to be cut out to fit the full sized radio head. Our originally had a drop down center, where the Escape is solidly square. Once the plastic is removed, it is a simple install.

The dash is so easy to work on with this truck, and removing the center upper panel, makes it easy to install the antenna for the navigation head. It fits into the area, pointing up, and the signal is quite good. Pop back on the upper cover, and it is in. Nice, clean install. The premium radio I used, made the power sound great, and the install quite pleasant. The sound is crisp and clear, with flush mounting and clean install.

This is the radio I would suggest to use, if someone wants navigation in 1997-2003 F series trucks. It is a very simple install, with using the factory radio out of an 2005-07 Escape radio. It fits the hole well, and it is the only factory radio that will fit the dash without much problems.

I found the write up on this site, and the install was quite easy. https://www.f150forum.com/f6/factory...f-150-a-50313/

Last edited by akdoggie; 02-23-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Damn! Thanks for the info AK. Doing this for sure.

You don't have any pics do yuh?
Old 02-23-2015, 07:02 PM
Why

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Awesome, Pictures would be great.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:49 PM

I was very simple on this model. You pop off the center panel, and remove the old radio. Most already have aftermarket radios, but if you have the factory radio, you will need the remover tools or a coat hanger and make your own.

You will need the Metra connectors for the radio and one for your year. 97's and some 98's use one style, 98-03 use another. When I got my wiring, I received 2 plugs, both with 8 wires. The Escape requires 8 on the speakers (bottom) and 7 on the top. I had a hell of a time finding a 7 & 8 plug connectors. I found 8 and 8 all over, so I ordered one to try. The speaker one was easy, but the upper (7 wire), required me cutting one terminal off. It was fairly easy task. I then hooked those to the connector for the 98 late model, and hooked it up. You only use 4 wires on the top. They are 1,2,3 and 4. Number 6 can be used as a frame ground, and probably should be done. I didn't. I used the antenna as my ground. It is a common ground in this system.

Other than cutting the back plastic, it was a direct push in. I did pull the upper right dash panel off, just so I could get easy access to my separate navigation antenna. I attached it to the frame panel underneath, so it attached firmly and within satellite connection. I did the same in my 07 Mustang, and it worked great, so this should be no different.

I didn't take pictures of the install itself, but do have some pics of the radio wired up. It's basically just unplug your old one and install the new head. You need to buy the Visteon/Ford antenna for GPS to work, but that is about 10-12 on eBay. Get the one with the "grey" plug. The pink is for Clarions, green is another, etc. The grey plug fits the one we use.

The link I referenced shows how it looks installed. There is nothing else to cut, other than the inside the case, at the back, just so the unit fits in all the way. Be careful when you cut, as there are two blocks of wires running back there, but you can see them. Just be careful when you cut and you will be fine.

Good luck. It's a kick to have this work. If you see a screen you might question, just follow general logic and it will be a piece of cake.

Last edited by akdoggie; 02-23-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:08 AM

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts

That's cool but definitely looks "vintage" lol
Old 02-24-2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by jferg92
That's cool but definitely looks "vintage" lol
Vintage ? Are you of drinking age yet ?
Old 02-24-2015, 12:19 PM

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Vintage ? Are you of drinking age yet ?
Yep, just not a aarp member like you yet. I like the oem look but for all that money, I'd rather have a touchscreen double din. Just my preference though. Very interesting thread though
Attached Images  

Last edited by jferg92; 02-24-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:32 PM

Yep, just not a aarp member like you yet.

I like the oem look but for all that money, I'd rather have a touchscreen double din. Just my preference though.
Very interesting thread though
...Well it was funny after looking up aarp. = Baby boomers over 50 lol.

Yea, I don't know much about it, I have all that touch screen stuff in my DD. It is cool. The OP is referring to navigation, -bulit in I take it. That's the trick right ? - vrs running a separate after market navigation system ? Perhaps linking up with Sirus, iduno?

Forgive, I haven messed around with this stuff yet lol.

EDIT: But I plan on doing something like this with the factory look if it's possible in the future. I haven't begun putting the interior back together yet, - that's 2nd to last.

Last edited by Jbrew; 02-24-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:45 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

I prefer my App radio that use Google Maps for navigation. Its simplier and easy to use. the issue I see is the fact that those cant be update to current maps.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:41 PM

Yep, just not a aarp member like you yet. I like the oem look but for all that money, I'd rather have a touchscreen double din. Just my preference though. Very interesting thread though
All that money? I bought the head for 50, the antenna for 11, and the wiring plugs were 16, for both sets. That is a total of $77, and I bought an AK/Canadian map disc for 15. I have $92 total in my system. You just have to be patient and look for the deals. Once you get the head, the rest is real cheap and simple.

There is currently on eBay, one of these Escape radios for bid, and is currently $39 with 2 days to go. They are not very popular with the Escape crowd, but the F150 guys are starting to pick them up and install them. Cheaper than a Garman, or Tom Tom, and without a lot of trouble.

Quick Reply: Finally did the Escape Navigation radio