Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

F150 runs good for about 1 hour then runs bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F150 runs good for about 1 hour then runs bad

Hello Everyone
I have a 2002 F150XL. V6, 4.2 liter engine. When you drive it runs good for about an hour then it looses power and miss fires. I changed the oil, oil and fuel filters. Changed the spark plug wires and spark plugs, also changed the power pack. 2 years ago I repaired the lean problem I had as is common with this engine and changed the MAF. There is no engine light on at this time or any time at all. All gauges read normal all the time.
I noticed when I start it with the A/C on the compressor will turn then stop a couple of times before turning continuously. At which time you will see smoke, I am thinking the smoke is from the belt as it tries to turn and seems to burn belt as the compressor stops and turns. It will run fine for about an hour then you loose power and it miss fires. If you turn off A/C at this time it tends to run better but not at 100 percent. Turn truck off and let cool down and it is fine again for about an hour. I am thinking the compressor is getting stuck. Can this cause this problem of loosing power after driving for a while. At first I thought it was a firing problem which is why I changed all these parts. Then I notice the A/C seemed to stick when you first start and was wondering can this compressor, if sticking, cause a strain on the motor where it will run bad after driving like that. Up until the point of the truck running for an hour it is running great. After that hour or so it is all down hill. So I get it home and let it sit for a while and it is fine again. Please email me with any help or suggestions.
Thank You
Hector
dacrew4009@***.net

Quick Reply: F150 runs good for about 1 hour then runs bad