Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Exhaust/Cat Question

Old 05-15-2013, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust/Cat Question

Hey guys, long time since I've been on here.. Been a busy fella with graduating college and working and whatnot.

But quick question.. I've done some searching on the forums and haven't really found what I'm looking for.

I have a 99 F-150 XLT 4.6L. It has a Flowmaster muffler with dual out.. Not sure what series it is, as it was on there when I bought the truck. I want a little more sound out of it, but also wanted to replace the stock cats (as the truck has 180K miles on it). I don't have a CEL or anything.. just figured they could use a changing, and may be robbing of some MPGs.

I went to a shop and he gave me a quote to replace the stock cats with hi-flow cats for $450 per side, for a total of $900. He mentioned that my truck needed direct fit cats and that the $50-100 Magnaflow Cats would not work and may throw a CEL. Is this true? No way in hell am I paying $900 for new cats.

Also, how can I get more sound without straight-piping. Can't have it THAT loud due to work. Exhaust shop suggested a Stage 1 Flowmaster. Any opinions there?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:03 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

some ecu's will throw cel if there is wrong back pressure or o2's dont come up to temp right
my logic if they are not throwing codes.. dont change them ..
and if you do ask for the cats back
most junk yards are paying up to 200 EACH for cats for the platinum in them
dont let the shop keep them .. ur basically giving them another 3-400 for free

look online ebay and such for a bolt on system ... save $ do it yourself ... grab a few beers and a friend take a few hours and done
Old 05-15-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Ignore that, there is a thread on here or check google. Search "non fouler" and all your questions will be answered. You can totally punch out the cats with no CEL.

Edit:
https://www.f150forum.com/f6/wanna-c...k-here-195581/

Last edited by tansupercrew; 05-15-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys!

Well.. I would really not even want to go through that to make sure I don't get a CEL, as that wouldn't bother me much and I'm not gunna sell the truck anytime soon.

I don't want to cut my cats off, just wanted to replace them with aftermarket hi-flow cats.

But, if they really don't need changing that's fine.

Now my question is more-so what to do with the exhaust. Want it louder, but not quite straight-pipe loud.

Any experience out there with the Stage 1 Flowmaster?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust/Cat Question