Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Every time I look at a new truck, I like mine better

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 01:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Every time I look at a new truck, I like mine better

Original owner 2000 XLT Sport 4.6, with 235k miles. No issues with the truck, but it's my daily driver and I routinely drive a 200 mile round trip for work. While I would like a new XLT Crewcab, the $36K cost is really hard to swallow

I gave it a wash today and I will continue to take care of it and as long as it continues to provide reliable transportation, I will stick with it.

Name:  28515367-7BC1-4FE5-8C2E-304ECE31F317.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  258.8 KB
The following users liked this post:
JCH841 (09-12-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 06:04 AM
mbb

Received 890 Likes on 732 Posts

I have 2003 lariat supercrew 4x4, 230000 mi

Only thing I would change on mine is gas mileage

Put another engine in it 1.5 yrs ago, 30k miles now. In 6 mo that will be break even point in my estimation, at least compared with depriciation on newer used vehicle which was option. Also did ball joints and brakes and interior touch ups.

Will put tranny in when time comes. Planning ahead for that
As well as proactive fuel pump replace at my convenience

I can totally rebuild, repaint, etc for far less than even a newer used truck
No incentive to change as long as Im happy with it, which I am.

Happy enough to consider $2k for truetrac and new gears

New prices...stratosphere. Ill admit to having a household income in the top couple percent of all americans......and I wouldnt pay it. Thank god for stupid people, they keep our economy going buying things they dont need and really cant afford. People living in trailers with no savings have new $70,000 trucks and people on welfare have iphones. God bless america. My brother in law works construction, no savings , lives with his mom at 30 yrs old, and has a corvette Z06...which doesnt ever drive..(has work truck) just sits there...depreciating...thousands per year...plus interest on loan...hell never have any money..hes too stupid to accumulate it. He will die like like his parents..., at work, in his 70s, and broke, living paycheck to paycheck, because he couldnt resist buying things he didnt need.

Btw, after several mo of use, heated seats is still my no. 1 thing Im most glad I did for truck. That and decent bluetooth stereo/subwoofer and rear camera.

Trying fox shocks next week..hope they live up to hype. Since my factory shocks have 230k on them, maybe I see improvement.

Replacing worn seat leather cover, painting interior parts, etc and having interior look like new plays a big part in satisfaction driving it. Huge.

Last edited by mbb; 03-10-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:01 AM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

I just thought about getting a new truck. We went and drove a $60k '17 Lariat with a glass roof of all things. The truck was down right awesome but not $60k awesome, lol.

When we got done with the test drive there were a group of dealership guys around my truck. One of the service guys wants it and was hoping I was trading it in. LoL
Old 03-10-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I would love a new truck but there always seems to be other stuff that I have to spend my money on. 60k for a new truck is hard for me to justify. The newer used trucks are still 35k and have almost as many miles on them as mine. With my 03 around 95,000 miles I will be driving it a while longer unless I win the lottery.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

I figure the longer I can milk my old truck, the more value it has. Every month when I get to slide that money $$$ over to the Savings account, I'm one step closer to paying the house off early or investing in a higher end project car down the road.

I'd tell anyone as long as it isn't an embarrassment for you to drive and it's reliable, keep it.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:44 AM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolvee
I'd tell anyone as long as it isn't an embarrassment for you to drive and it's reliable, keep it.
I don't care what my vehicles look like on the outside, as is evidenced by my clear coat peeling hood and horrible looking bedside, and tons of dents and scrapes all over.

So long as the interior is comfortable and in decent condition, truck is mechanically sound, and not a rust-bucket, I am fine with it.

I was upset with the $700 I had to spend on in at the end of it last year (fuel pump, a few sensors, new PCM (+ shop fee)), but that was over a 3 month period, way less than the average new truck payment (although I don't do payments, I just buy them outright).
The past 2 months though the truck has only cost me insurance (way less than a new truck) and $40 in gas.
I will be needing a battery soon.

Plus I hate the look and height of new trucks (all makes). Not sure what I am going to do for a truck when this one eventually dies.
New vehicles also just have too many electronics. These things will fail sooner than later and replacement will be way too expensive (repair will not be possible for the home mechanic).
A PCM on these trucks is probably the most complex electronic item on these trucks, and they are (and will be) readily available for a long time. The rest of the hards parts on these trucks will be cheap and plentiful for a long time. Plus the sheer number of these trucks that will slowly go into junk yards will keep increasing.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:11 PM

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Even if I could afford a new one I wouldnt do it. love my truck still..
Old 03-10-2017, 09:30 PM
GO SOX!

Received 92 Likes on 86 Posts

The day I traded my 03 in I knew I was making a mistake. Regreted it everyday until I found my 99 a few years ago. If you take of of these trucks they will run forever. Alot of miles in this section of the forum.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:51 PM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

I don't have to look at the new truck to know I like my old one better. A glance at the window sticker is all it takes.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

I drove a 2017 xlt, and I did not notice much difference in the drivability so I'm keeping my rig. 140k on the clock

Quick Reply: Every time I look at a new truck, I like mine better