Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Easy question and not so easy question - Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Easy question and not so easy question - Fuel

So, I have a 2001 F150 V8 pickup, 4x4.

My first question is one about the fuel filter. I'm having trouble getting the engine to start and decided to change the filter. Everything I read on the internet says "put the filter back in the direction you took it off". However, I did find one or two places that indicated the arrow should point towards the engine. It was pointing towards the fuel tank, so after a mental debate with myself, I decided the last guy must have installed it wrong and so I placed it arrow forward. I consulted my Haynes manual and it didn't say either. Will someone please tell me which way this silly thing goes?

OK, now for the harder question. When I turn the key, the engine turns over, but it never starts. I was able to get it running with starter fluid and it kept running for over an hour. Turning the key off and back on, I was able to restart. However, after I drove it home and shut it off, I would never start again, even with the starter fluid. I have a sneaking suspicion that the backwards filter is the culprit, but what about the original problem? Here's what I checked:

1. Good battery voltage
2. Full tank of gas
3. Good relay (jumped it out and swapped it for another one)
4. Zero fuel pressure at the rail. no pressure while cranking.
5. checked the inertia switch. While I haven't jumped it out, it's not popped and is fully seated.
6. No fuel leaks anywhere on the truck.
7. This truck was submerged halfway underwater for 24 hours, about 7 years ago, but has been driving fine since. The water never entered the air intake but did flood the cab.

I'm really hoping it's not the fuel pump, but I'm ready to accept my fate unless you have something else to try.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
ford3251 (12-07-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 07:26 PM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

I cant believe you asked the 2nd question knowing the problem in the first question. Install a new filter the correct way. If it does not correct your 2nd problem let us know.
BTW-you will have a short engine life starting it with starting fluid.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:01 AM

I still have a problem, no matter which way the filter is installed. I was hoping someone could tell me definitively which way to install it, but the truck won't start with the filter in either direction.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:46 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Arrow to the engine Your filter says to engine. That is correct.

Fuel pump is either history or bad fuel pump relay. Check there first and if not then check the fuel with the filter off (use a piece of hose on the line and see if you can fill a gas can) and turn it on,. If not then your pump is weak. You should have 28# or better at the rail to run correctly. You don't so, I'm thinking your pump is the culprit. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:51 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

You might also check the wiring at the top of your tank. You said it was submerged sometime ago, so the terminals could be corroded. Does the fuel pump try and pressurize when you turn on the key. It should cycle each time to pressurize the system. If the pump isn't humming for a couple seconds, then it isn't working. I forgot to mention this before. Too bad you have a full fuel load, in case you have to drop your tank. At least it is an easy R & R.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:52 PM

I decided to remove the truck bed and replace the entire pump assembly. Happy to report that it started up like a champ.

However, I tried to start it this morning (so I could go get my expired tags fixed) and the starter let out a howl like an old Model-T "ooga" horn and won't turn the engine. When it rains, it pours...

Quick Reply: Easy question and not so easy question - Fuel