Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Driving/Fog light question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Ford Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driving/Fog light question

My truck has the factory lights in the front lower bumper valance. It has the switch to turn them on in with the headlight switch and you have to turn on the low beams and pull the switch out to turn them on.

I am wondering if there is a way to turn just those lower lights alone on. i would even be satisfied if they came on with the parking/marker lights ?

I have heard people say they will work from factory with the parking lights on but mine don't seem to do that.

Since its not in my signature the truck is a 2002 F150 super cab 4x4 5.4L XLT package.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Batteries Not Included

Received 294 Likes on 190 Posts

I don't know about the 2002, but my 2012 has the automatic headlamps feature which turns them on when the sensor senses it has become dark enough. Turning the fog lamps on when the switch is in automatic will turn on the fog lamps only on mine. If you have automatic headlamps try that. I think they had the feature then, but I'm not sure.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Resident light whore

Received 751 Likes on 614 Posts

There's a mod you can do with the headlight switch that will let them come on in any position. I look up "foglights on with high beams" or something like that, I don't have the link
Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Romp It!

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Here ya go

http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/how...s/foglamps.htm
Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Ford Apprentice

Thanks Guys i will check out those links and search terms !!!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Ford Apprentice

Originally Posted by Almighty
Thanks !!!!

That is exactly what i was looking for ! A wire mod, not trash the switch and have to go to the stealership and order a new one LOL. I am never comfortable taking switches apart. I worked in a hosiery mill where we made socks, I was a lead technician/fixer and was always instructed to try to fix electrical switches before replacing them. While it did work to fix them, I always ended up going back a day or so later to the same original problem and replacing the switch anyways.

Sorry i got off topic a little lol
Old 06-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Ford Apprentice

Originally Posted by SimpleMan7480
Thanks !!!!

That is exactly what i was looking for ! A wire mod, not trash the switch and have to go to the stealership and order a new one LOL. I am never comfortable taking switches apart. I worked in a hosiery mill where we made socks, I was a lead technician/fixer and was always instructed to try to fix electrical switches before replacing them. While it did work to fix them, I always ended up going back a day or so later to the same original problem and replacing the switch anyways.

Sorry i got off topic a little lol
Ok i followed the link and followed the directions in the post. It said the wires would be numbered and which wires to connect. Naturally I got the switch popped out and looked and there were no numbers. So i matched the colors described in the linked post.

Bad Idea !!!!

I popped the fog/driving light relay by doing that and turning the lights on to try them out. I called Autozone and was quoted $40 - $60 bucks for that little relay.

Time to break out the spool of wire and a toggle switch, then the dang things will be on when i want them on for sure ! I can't believe up to $60 for a part that looks like it cost 50 cents to build ! $60 has got to be an incorrect price !

Quick Reply: Driving/Fog light question