Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Dripping oil more frequently - 1997 f150

Old 04-05-2009, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Dripping oil more frequently - 1997 f150

I've got a '97 F150 that has over 250k miles on it and it has started to drip oil. I cannot really tell where the drip is coming from b/c after driving it that way for a while, naturally, oil is "caked" on the undercarriage making it difficult to identify where the leak is coming from. Anyone else ever run into this? I love the truck and it's days of being a primary driving vehicle are coming to a close but I want to keep it around because it is just way too handy but then again I don't want to leave an oil spot everywhere I park! Any thoughts? Anyone ever done an overhaul? What does something like that entail and/or cost? I guess I should mention that it is a 4.6L.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 250k_andGoingStrong
I've got a '97 F150 that has over 250k miles on it and it has started to drip oil. I cannot really tell where the drip is coming from b/c after driving it that way for a while, naturally, oil is "caked" on the undercarriage making it difficult to identify where the leak is coming from. Anyone else ever run into this? I love the truck and it's days of being a primary driving vehicle are coming to a close but I want to keep it around because it is just way too handy but then again I don't want to leave an oil spot everywhere I park! Any thoughts? Anyone ever done an overhaul? What does something like that entail and/or cost? I guess I should mention that it is a 4.6L.

Thanks in advance!
WoW thats a few miles you have there.

first off you'll have to determine where the leak is coming from before actually deciding what to replace. the rear main seal has been known to go bad and so have the valve cover gaskets.. with that many miles it could be both.. if possible try spraying some degreaser onto the engine "sides and underside only" DO NOT GET THE TOP WET please don't get any water on the top of the engine.. especially around the spark plugs, coil packs or injectors getting those areas wet will become a huge problem. okay back to your oil leak.

with the engine warm spray the degreaser in the areas to be cleaned and then let sit for approx 15-20 min then start the engine and let idle while you spray off the underside and sides of engine.. remember not a drop of water from the inside of the valve covers into the center of the engine.

with a cleaner engine you'll be able to see where the oil is coming from better. chances are its from the rear main if its low and the valve covers if its on the sides of the block and around the intake.

best of luck.. please update when you find out where its coming from.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:33 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Back a few years ago, we would take shop air and a regulator 3-5 psi. and pressurise the crankcase to test for leakage. Spray bottle with soap and look for bubbles. But that was when you could see all the gasket surfaces. Good luck with todays engines, a mirror and light will help. Should say the pcv valve has to be removed and plugged.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dripping oil more frequently - 1997 f150