Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Doors on 99 F150 question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doors on 99 F150 question

I have a 99 F 150 extended cab. Awhile back I was leaving Lowe's parking lot and ran into a 16' trailer. It messed up my passenger door, the small door and my bed. Finally got tired of looking at it so I started checking my options. It is still a good truck and I want to keep it. I have had it for 8 years with very little trouble.
I came across a 97 model extended cab just like mine for a good price. I guess I am really getting old because I had my drivers side door open and the passenger side open on the 97 and I thought they looked the same. I was wrong. The handle on mine is above the arm rest and the 97 is below the arm rest which really doesn't make me any difference. The doors look the same to me except for the door panel so my question is will the doors off the 97 fit my 99. I forgot about the bed. It looks the same. Will it fit my truck. Also would it be a pain to change the doors if they fit. The bed doesn't seem like it would be to bad. If anyone could let me know if the doors will fit I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old 10-08-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 6,466 Likes on 4,604 Posts

As far as I know, they area direct swap, just the interior portion needs swapped over..... but I am positive the AKdoggie will know. He will chime in as soon as he sees this thread.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:12 PM

Default Doors on 99 f150 question

That's good to know. I know they look the same. It would be nice if the door panels would swap but if the won't that's ok. I'll just have one door handle high and one low, as long as the doors swap. Speaking of doors do you know how the electric connection works with the door. Is it plugged in inside the door? Didn't know if you pull the panel off and unplug the electrical connection or what. Thanks for the information. I can't find any information on changing the doors.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 5,529 Likes on 4,613 Posts

I've had mine on and off, easy peazy. I'm not sure if they are the same as the 99 though. Seems like they would fit. AFAIK the 99's just went to doors on both sides for the SCABS. There's some wire harnesses involved, I think just one. Might want to mark the hinges or wait, I don't think you have mark the hinges if you unbolt them correctly. It was easy regardless.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:45 PM

Default Doors on 99 f 150 question

I can't find anything on youtube or any information on how to change the doors. I do better with video but can't find anything. Do you take the hinges and door off or do you unbolt the door from the hinges. Seem like it would be easy to unbolt the door from the hinges to me. Also seems like the wiring would come from the truck body and plug in inside the door but I don't know this either. I would sure like to do it myself. I know it has got to be a pretty good job. I know the doors are heavy. Any more information would be appreciated.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 5,529 Likes on 4,613 Posts

I think once you look at it you'll figure it out. That's I did. If I can do it ....

Only pics I have, -

Here yuh go, I gave yuh a wave in this one, -

Old 10-09-2017, 10:52 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Whitey....The door shells are shaped the same in all dimensions except for the inner door handle. 97-98 BA code doors and 99 and up use AA code. As far as a direct swap, both sides, why not. They are the same with the exception of the inner controls.

Here's another one for you. The Expy's and Navigators use different doors also. You wouldn't think so on the Expy, but yeah on the Gator. Again, if you use them as a set, I don't see why they would clash. 99 Expy is below the arm like the 98 trucks. Ford did some weird crap back then.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:36 AM

Default Doors on 99 f 150 question

Thanks for the pictures. It does look like the connections unplug from inside the door. If they do that shouldn't be a problem. It looks like you left the hinges on and took the door loose from them which makes sense. Seems like it would be easier to bolt the door back up.
Akdoggie commented on the door handle part about the 97 and 99 using different door handle codes. My questions is will all the inner parts on my 99 fit the 97 door with the handles being in a different position. Don't know if the door is cut out to accept either type handle. I would like to have them in the same position if I could but it is definitely not a have to. I wouldn't mind having the handles different.
Also akdoggie said the codes were different. So if I put the 97 door he way it is and do nothing to it and plug it in it won't work because of the codes. I don't know anything about this kind of stuff. Thanks again guys.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

No Bugman.....I said the doors are different part numbers from Ford. There are 4 different doors that will bolt onto the GEN 10's. 99 up F150/250LD, Expy, Navigator, lastly 97-98 F150/250LD door shells. They are all different on the inside mounting components. The Navi doors are still different, but I'm not sure on why. It could be an exterior design or more than likely another type of interior modification. I know some Navi plugs are different than the 150 or Expy's, but that takes some looking to make sure they are the same.

Other than that, they will bolt on. You can change the interior panels to match your color and have handles in different locations. I don't see a problem as long as they match side to side.
The following users liked this post:
Aragorn (10-10-2017)