Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

DIY oil catch can.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 06:19 PM
Junkyard Crusader

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey yall.
I figured I'd decide to do a brief write up on my custom oil catch can that I installed about 6 months ago. For those that dont know, all an oil catch can does is condense and collect oil vapors that would typically be piped back into the intake. I chose to do this mod as my truck (2003 supercrew w/ 4.6 windsor) is on 164k miles and consumes a slight amount of oil, and i figured keeping oil vapors out of the intake would help stop any gunk build up. Anyways, on to the write up.

The catch can itself is simply an air/water seperator that is used on air compressors for the similar purpose of filtering out liquids. It took some modification as in an air compressor it uses the pressure so hold the drain valve shut and on the engine it would be under vacuum pressure so the valve needed to be sealed. For this i used gasoline resistant sealant and filled every nook and cranny i could. (On this particular filter i also had to add an o-ring to seal the valve against the plastic cup).

Attachment 359443

(I appologize for sideways picture) Heres what it looks like set up under the hood. You can also see i added heat sinks to the top to help control heat in order to help vapors condense.
This is where its mounted, just a simple piece of steel with a bolt through the harness bracket and two small bolts through pre existing holes in the hat of the filter.

Attachment 359449

To connect the pcv valve to the filter i just used a simple setup, rubber emission tubing elbow from autozone, a barb connector to fuel line running up to the filter where the line hooks into a 3/8 (i think) connector that threads into inlet of filter. I used hose clamps on all connections and teflon tape on the threads. The particular emissions tube elbow i found was a perfect fit in the fact that it fit very snug onto pcv valve. Just simply push it on tight and youre good to go. Unfortunately the picture failed to upload but you can slightly see it in the first picture. The other end of the system is exactly the same as the pcv to filter connection. Threaded fitting into the outlet of the filter with barbed end, more fuel line, another barb fitting and the same emissions elbow. Once again this elbow fits extremely snug onto the fitting in the back of the throttle body. (I think this is in a different place on the 5.4 but the setup is still the same.)

DIY oil catch can.-forumrunner_20141231_170810.jpg

This entire project took me about two days because finding the right sized emission tubing connectors was a PITA, but once i got all the correct parts putting it all together was a breeze. Id imagine other setups will be different so consider this more of a guide. Remember that you are doing this in your vacuum system so be sure to seal everything up tight and double check all hose connections, vacuum leaks are no bueno. To empty the catch can simply unscrew the plastic cup from the black top, on mine there is an o-ring on top of the cup that likes to fall out so be careful if yours has it also. As far as effectiveness goes mine fills up fairly quickly, about 10 minutes of startup and idle a slight bit of oil will be visible running down the side. With all the cold weather weve had, a lot of condensation has formed inside of the cup so i find myself emptying it out more now. The truck seems to run a tad smoother and a visual inspection of throttle body (i cleaned it after installing catch can) shows no more gunk than after cleaning it, but time will tell if it helps over the long run. Over all im happy i did this mod, it was very cheap compared to buying an actual catch can and it helps the truck run quite a bit better. If yall have any questions just let me know.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:23 PM
Junkyard Crusader

Heres the un-posted pictures
Attached Thumbnails DIY oil catch can.-forumrunner_20141231_172124.jpg   DIY oil catch can.-forumrunner_20141231_172237.jpg   DIY oil catch can.-forumrunner_20141231_172300.jpg   DIY oil catch can.-forumrunner_20141231_172322.jpg  
Old 12-31-2014, 07:32 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

well how does it work?
Old 12-31-2014, 07:51 PM
Junkyard Crusader

Originally Posted by tonyroc14
well how does it work?
sorry i guess i forgot to specify in the original description.
Hot oil vapors from crankcase flow through pcv valve into tubing towards catch can, once they reach catch can the vapors are cooled and condense back to liquid oil and collect in the bottom of the clear cup and clean oil free air goes through the brass filter and back into the rear of the throttle body. The stock setup has the plastic tube going straight from the pcv to the throttle body, thus allowing oil vapors to enter intake and be burned of, and in older trucks with blow by, this can mean a lot of unnecessary oil consumption
Old 12-31-2014, 07:57 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

In reality you still allowing oil past the pcv. Its coming from the driver side breather. I have a 3 way vented catch can.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:02 PM
Junkyard Crusader

Originally Posted by Carcrazygts2
In reality you still allowing oil past the pcv. Its coming from the driver side breather. I have a 3 way vented catch can.
Yeah the next time i mess with it im either going to just put a breather filter on that side or run it to a Y fitting between the pcv and catch can. The reason i didnt do it originally was that the driver side tube has no oil residue in it like the passenger side so i didnt see it to be too urgent.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Old Red SCrew
sorry i guess i forgot to specify in the original description.
Hot oil vapors from crankcase flow through pcv valve into tubing towards catch can, once they reach catch can the vapors are cooled and condense back to liquid oil and collect in the bottom of the clear cup and clean oil free air goes through the brass filter and back into the rear of the throttle body. The stock setup has the plastic tube going straight from the pcv to the throttle body, thus allowing oil vapors to enter intake and be burned of, and in older trucks with blow by, this can mean a lot of unnecessary oil consumption
no, I know how it works, how well does it work. lol
Old 12-31-2014, 09:58 PM
Junkyard Crusader

no, I know how it works, how well does it work. lol
Lol my bad man, its been a long day. So far so good, it collects quite a bit, i empty it about once a week with regular in town driving. Like i said the truck seems to run alot smoother with it on as it isnt burning nearly as much oil. It serves its purpose well and im glad i did it. Only thing is that in this cold weather i get a lot of moisture in the cup from condensation so i have to empty it even more lately. But like i said, it works great.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Old Red SCrew
Lol my bad man, its been a long day. So far so good, it collects quite a bit, i empty it about once a week with regular in town driving. Like i said the truck seems to run alot smoother with it on as it isnt burning nearly as much oil. It serves its purpose well and im glad i did it. Only thing is that in this cold weather i get a lot of moisture in the cup from condensation so i have to empty it even more lately. But like i said, it works great.
could you just run a hose from the drain port back into the valve cover. Or would that ruin the seperator?
Old 01-01-2015, 01:12 AM
Junkyard Crusader

could you just run a hose from the drain port back into the valve cover. Or would that ruin the seperator?
It wouldnt work as a drain since the system is under vacuum still and the drain hose would end up sucking in whatever air is in the valve cover. Plus with the condensation that forms i wouldnt want that going back into the oil.

Quick Reply: DIY oil catch can.