Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

DIY manual front axle disconnect system

Old 01-07-2015, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY manual front axle disconnect system

I am sick and tired of my 4x4 not working because the vacuum actuator doesn't have the power to engage or disengage the front axles. I have seen kits that one can buy for around 100$ that is basically a cable that you run from the cab to shifter fork on the front axle (http://4x4posi-lok.com/app_ford.html). I am just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these kits or better yet have you made something that works the under the same principals.

And before the questions start flying about things not functioning properly, I have checked the vacuum and actuator and they both are fine, the transfer case is also working properly and I have even gone as far as taking off the passenger side front axle to inspect the shifting fork and that is in perfect condition and moves freely. The biggest time I have issues is in the freezing cold and I'm assuming everything just stiffens up enough to cause me issues, so I want to install a system that I can manually engage from the cab.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-07-2015, 10:07 PM

Received 521 Likes on 293 Posts

I'm in the same boat... Sick and tired of the front not engaging when it's cold and you need it most. Takes 30 minutes or so of driving, then it will engage. I've replaced the actuator and shift fork. No vacuum leaks.

The manual kits seem to have mixed reviews. Seems expensive for what it is.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:38 AM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Huh, wonder why you guys can't find the problem ? I guess the only thing, well, the only thing that I can think of that may throw yuh is if you had a GEM problem. Everything else is hardware..../vac lines/fork/solenoids/motor.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:45 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Huh, wonder why you guys can't find the problem ? I guess the only thing, well, the only thing that I can think of that may throw yuh is if you had a GEM problem. Everything else is hardware..../vac lines/fork/solenoids/motor.
Because **** doesn't work in the cold....lol
Old 01-08-2015, 07:52 AM
Complete Asshat

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyroc14
Because **** doesn't work in the cold....lol
These trucks work awesome in the cold. -30 here constantly and I've never had an issue. So there obliviously is some type of underlying problem.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:01 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TLB4
These trucks work awesome in the cold. -30 here constantly and I've never had an issue. So there obliviously is some type of underlying problem.
My truck works fine too, but it's only 17 here. However, I meant that things show themselves in the cold that you wouldn't normally see....
Old 01-08-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Working on making my own actually. Would be open to ideas.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by TLB4

yeah, the underlying issue is that it does not want to shift in or out of 4x4 in the extreme cold, I have had 2 shops (1 Ford Dealer, 1 local repair shop) both tell me that there is absolutely nothing wrong with anything dealing with my 4x4 system and I have personally checked and double checked every inch of it and it works flawlessly under normal temps, but below normal temps is when I need it the most and it really doesn't like working under those conditions.

I ordered a kit today and will be installing it as soon as it comes in, I will keep everyone updated as to how it works and how hard the install is on it.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:44 PM

I am just south of the arctic circle temp is -30 and dropping ,run mine. in 2 wheel drive 90% of the time shift into 4 wheel high when I need it never had an issue with it not engaging .
Old 01-10-2015, 09:30 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I understand you're decided on the manual engage system...However I would do a check of the solenoids at the time the system is actually failing to engage.
It's tough to track an intermittent problem down when it's not failing at the time you check it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY manual front axle disconnect system