Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Diagnosing factory suspension issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 10:27 PM

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts

Default Diagnosing factory suspension issue.

Truck is a 2000 Scab 4x4 5.4. I'm getting excessive wear on the insides of my front tires, like a negative camber issue. The torsion bars are turned up a little, but not to the max of 24.25. I've gone underneath and done a pretty thorough inspection. I definitely need inner and outer tie rods, don't think that's the issue though. Ball joint rubbers look good. The only other item I noticed that was worn are the upper and lower control arm bushings are cracked and pretty dried out. Could that cause a negative camber issue? I get the alignment done every other oil change and the truck drives straight as an arrow.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Does the printout show that you have excessive camber? It could very well be a toe issue causing this, one way to tell is if the edges are feathered it is a toe issue. And the vehicle will still drive straight with toe being off because toe is more of just a wear angle than anything to do with how straight it goes down the road. Also jack up each front wheel from the lower control arm so the suspension is loaded then stick a pry bar under each tire and pry up and down and watch the ball joints for play up and down. That's the proper way to check balljoints on these types of suspensions.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts

Thank you! And yes they are slightly feathered. I don't have the printout on hand but I remember the camber was ok. The toe on the other hand was in spec but needed adjustment every time. I'm going to be ordering moog tie rods and sleeves. And I will definitely check my ball joints the way you said. Thank you for your help!
Old 09-11-2015, 03:47 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Constant toe changes will cause feathering and the inside of the tire to wear faster. It takes around 1 degree of negative camber to be noticable on tires.

Quick Reply: Diagnosing factory suspension issue.