Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Denso replacement coils any good? Need to replace a Motorcraft orig.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 11:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Denso replacement coils any good? Need to replace a Motorcraft orig.

Recently just had a cyl. one misfire code occur on my truck. 2003 4.6L 2V Windsor block. Does Denso make a decent aftermarket ignition coil? Yes... no? Says Made in USA on the box. Should I stay with Motorcraft? Thoughts? Can get Denso for half price of Motorcraft.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:34 AM
mbb

Received 892 Likes on 734 Posts

Experiences reported here have been ok so far.

Denso is a quality mfg typically. One of toyotas main suppliers, still partly owned by them. (Used to be nippon denso,)

Although anyone can produce crap parts , i trust denso name more than most, more than delco, bosch, etc, when no other info available . Crappy parts from delco or bosch wont even work well on toyotas sometimes. I tried cheaper parts a couple times on a toyota i
​had, ended up replacing with denso or aisin to get to work properly. The fact other companies catalogued parts that didnt meet toyota specs and work right.....turned me off of them for any application that they werent oem for.

Last edited by mbb; 03-19-2019 at 01:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
03 Heritage Edition (03-20-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 01:11 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Denso and Motorcraft are the only 2 brands of coils I would use on the modular motors.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Scotty Kilmer loves Denso for what it’s worth. They are the OEM for a few other makes.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:08 PM

Received 6,471 Likes on 4,609 Posts

Denso MAKES the Motorcraft coils now. So yes, they're just fine.

Last edited by white89gt; 03-19-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:43 PM

Received 5,545 Likes on 4,623 Posts

Originally Posted by white89gt
Denso MAKES the Motorcraft coils now. So yes, they're just fine.

Yea, I recently heard they've been manufacturing coils for Motorcraft since 2016. News to me...didn't know that one, they still look the same AFAIK.

I wonder if Visteon did the same thing way back when? They also manufactured their own with the Visteon label. Early on I noticed that some production models (car lines only) had Visteon labeled coils from the factory. Although it was known that Visteon and Motorcraft had identical specifications and were the ONLY Ford spec coils available (there were tons of knock-offs, still are), there wasn't supporting information available determining that Visteon manufactured the Motorcraft. Anyway, yea, just heard this about Denso...betting they do make them for the factory. Denso products have always been solid...right there with NGK trust as well.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just wanted to say thank you all very much that replied. I visit this forum occasionally and thought I'd seen some folks recommending Denso ignition coils if not replacing with Motorcraft, but that was quite a while ago. Looked back a ways browsing previous threads on possible engine misfires, searching for recommendations for a decent replacement coil other than Motorcraft, but didn't see any. One local auto parts store in my area had a few Denso coils in stock for a reasonable cost.($37.00 and change) Could've ordered either Denso or Motorcraft from another local auto parts store, but their price was outrageous.(Almost $70.00) Didn't even call a Ford stealership to find out what a Motorcraft coil would've cost purchasing from them. All other aftermarket replacement coils available at the local auto parts stores were imported from wherever junk and also stupid overpriced. Was just looking for a replacement that would likely last. Long story short to resolve the intermittent misfire issue, I picked up a new Denso, changed it and the problem is resolved.(changed spark plugs 30k ago replacing with Motorcraft, so didn't bother to replace the plug) Runs as new again. Mileage is pushing 156k and I'm pretty sure the remainder of the coils are original.(purchased the truck 8 years ago with 117k) Planning on changing the remainder of old coils whenever the weather eventually warms up.(Snow changing to sleet then rain today, so it's still pretty lousy out where I live) Probably get 7 more Denso coils locally or order Motorcraft or Denso online.(Obviously prices are cheaper online) But anyways, my good old sixteen year old Ford 100th Anniversary Heritage Edition seems to be happy again and so am I. Once again, thanks for the replies.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:18 AM

Received 6,471 Likes on 4,609 Posts

My Toyota has Denso everything. They make some great parts, so Motorcraft gets my seal of approval for using them as an OEM.

The Toyota did come with NGK plugs from the factory - but I put Denso's in it. Good plugs, for sure!

NGK is making a lot of the newer Ford plugs. The Ecoboosts all come with NGK's in them.

Quick Reply: Denso replacement coils any good? Need to replace a Motorcraft orig.