Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

cv axle fused to wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cv axle fused to wheel bearing

this is my first post on this site and unforunately it's not a good one.

i have a 02' F150 4x4 and am in the proccess of changing cv axles and all ball joints. ball joints and passanger axle were a breeze. as for the driver side cv axle there seems to be not hope of getting it out. i have the entire assembly off of the truck (cv axle, hub, and steering knuckle). i spent a good 2 hours trying to get it to seperate. i tried hammers, sledge hammers and even a 10 ton hyd. press and still hasn't even budged.

i was talking to my roommate about it and he's had this happen before and had to cut the axle right behind the knuckle and change the hub assembly. before i attempt to do this has anyone had this happen to them before and what worked for you?
Old 10-22-2011, 10:34 PM
A7X

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Holy hell! if it didn't come off with a 10 ton press the only thing I could say is put it back in the press and try to shock it with a hammer, some good solid taps may be enough! But I have no clue how your hub assembly will be after all this
Old 10-22-2011, 10:39 PM

i already went and bought a new hub so im not too worried about that. i was just going to replace everything cuz i got tired of f**king with it but the steering knuckle is a special order and would take a few days to get here. i need this done by tuesday.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:43 PM

At work we've had some get stuck so we attack them with pb blasted put them in the 50 ton press (go big or go home) and the. Switch between those and an air hammer to work them out

Quick Reply: cv axle fused to wheel bearing