Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Cruise control quit working on me

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control quit working on me

Hey guys,

So my 01 Screw's cruise control stopped working the other day. I first thought it could be a fuse. I read in the owners that fuse #5 does the speed control, reverse lights, climate, DRL, and DTR. However all the other things listed, work fine. So that leads me to believe its a bad speed servo, or that the fuse that was installed for recall has gone bad. Any opinions?

Thanks, TYFORD
Old 10-26-2013, 03:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine did this also I could not figure out what the heck was wrong. I thought a vacuum line that wasnt it so I finally broke down and carried it to the dealership and found out it was the whole ribbon harness in the steering wheel. Once I got that replaced it was fine. Let me ask does your horn still work because mine quit. I lost horn and the cruise buttons on my steering wheel.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My ON button for cruise is getting slow to respond. This will be a good thread to follow. I think I'll try and replace the button first.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Complete Asshat

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

This test is a key on engine off (KOEO) test only that is conducted in park only with emergency brake fully engaged.
  1. Enter Self-Test Diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument cluster will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. FIVE ADDITIONAL FLASHES AT THIS POINT INDICATE A DEFECTIVE SPEED CONTROL SERVO. Release the OFF switch.
  1. Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.
    IF THE "ON" SWITCH IS NOT DEPRESSED WITHIN FIVE SECONDS AFTER ENTERING THE DIAGNOSTICS MODE, THE MODULE TIMES OUT AND THE PROCEDURE MUST BE STARTED OVER.
    The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
  1. A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.
    If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:
  • 2 Flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).
  • 3 Flashes - Deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.
  • 4 Flashes - Vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective.
  1. Immediately after the STATIC test, the speed control servo does a DYNAMIC test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the DYNAMIC throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the THROTTLE RETURNS BACK TO IDLE POSITION.
I'll tell you what to do if you do get a flash code of whatever. This is just the first step in finding out what is wrong. Good luck.
The following 3 users liked this post by TLB4:
ceabbott2 (03-18-2014), jasonallen347 (09-10-2014), nbrowser (11-02-2013)
Old 10-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

I have seen posts in which the cruise problem was the third brake light bulb was burned out. An easy check.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by farm_boy23
Mine did this also I could not figure out what the heck was wrong. I thought a vacuum line that wasnt it so I finally broke down and carried it to the dealership and found out it was the whole ribbon harness in the steering wheel. Once I got that replaced it was fine. Let me ask does your horn still work because mine quit. I lost horn and the cruise buttons on my steering wheel.
Yes my horn still works. The things is, I locked my steering wheel the other day, which I've never done before. I cranked it really hard to the right and left with truck off to lock it. Idk if maybe I pinched something in the wheel.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Ironically mine stopped working yesterday on my 02 screw. The horn works along with the the third brake light. I will also be following this thread for advice.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Well I just fixed the problem. The cruise control fire recall that Ford preforms utilizes a pigtail off the master cylinder switch that has two 2 amp fuses. The fuses are housed in small rubber housing with a snap cover. Mine had electrical tape wrapped around them along with a zip tie also securing the cover. One of the 2 amp fuses was blown. I replaced the blown 2 amp fuse and cruise control works again. Hope this helps someone else.

Last edited by M1256; 10-28-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the pressure switch on the m/ cyl if it has brake fluid in it, replace it. You can jump the wires on the connector to the switch to test it
Old 10-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Complete Asshat

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

I literally lay out the exact steps from Ford itself to diagnose the exact problem, and not a single person follows it... I hate this forum.
The following 3 users liked this post by TLB4:
jasonallen347 (09-10-2014), jazfe (03-25-2014), volrobster (05-06-2018)

Quick Reply: Cruise control quit working on me