Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Crew Cab Overhaul..

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crew Cab Overhaul..

Ok so I know that this is my first post and its going to stir up some crap but anyways..

I got me a 2003 Crew Cab for a work truck. But as soon as I make up my mind I am going to start accumulating parts to start tearing it down and completely rebuild it. Just wanted some opinions. So here are the ideas so far:

Front: Spidertrax Hi9, 5.14, ARB
Rear: 14 Bolt, 5.13, ARB
Tires: 39" Krawlers, or 42" IROKs
4-Link Front and Rear with 14" King Coilover(remote res)
Double ended Howe Hydraulic Steering
Bed shortened by about 12", Back half of frame removed for full tube structure, 32 Gal Fuel Cell and a few particulars.

Here's the fun part:

Either a 12v Cummins/ NV4500 built up to about 400HP
Or a LQ9 6.0/ 700r4 +/- 450 HP
If I go with a LS1 Im going with a Atlas 4.3:1
I haven't thought too much on the T-case for the Cummins but open to suggestions.

Full Tube front end keeping factory Fenders and grill/headlight combo.
I want this to be street legal.

Can't decide between Exo cage or Full internal cage (maybe both). I'm going to keep the dash for the air and radio and so forth but make custom panels for gauges to sit in place of factory gauge cluster.

You may ask why would I do this to a Ford, well I want an Atlas with the 14 Bolt, and the Atlas mates better to the Chevy Transmissions followed by the LQ9. I would love to have the Cummins but I am concearned about the weight and want to keep it 4-Linked. I can do the LQ9 almost cheaper than the whole 12v without the extra weight. I know this is a massive undertaking but I am in no hurry.

Last edited by crewcabguy; 06-01-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Crew Cab Overhaul..