Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

cranks over but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cranks over but wont start

Hello guys I put in my fuel pump today that went out a few months ago but had to wait since I had surgery and now I'm ready to get my truck running again. the truck cranks fine getting fuel to the fuel rails but it just wont start. I've checked all fuses and relays there all good. I'll be putting in new spark plugs on Tuesday and air filter we have rain coming this weekend so it'll be hard for me to work on it so Tuesday looks good. What else can I check to see if it's the culprit. The truck sounds like it wants to start but won't. I see the theft light come on then as it goes out I hear a noise up front so I'm guessing that's the PAT system. When I'm trying to crank it sometimes the mileage will go out then come back on with the 888888 across then the actual mileage will show again. I have fuel at the fuel rails checked the shreader valve fuel comes squirting out. I've tried both of my keys with same results. I'm at a lose here I need help. This truck is just my workhorse as I have other cars I drive I miss my truck I've been having issues with it for 3 years and now I want it to work again. any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-21-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Hows the battery
The following users liked this post:
Rollbar (12-22-2013)
Old 12-21-2013, 11:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

after changing spark plugs and still nothing check coil and crank sensor also check spark at all spark plugs if possible old school way
Old 12-21-2013, 11:41 PM

Also, cam sensor could cause it not to star I don't know if its the same for your vehicle or not but try burping the fuel line I know it sounds stupid but it could cause injectors to be filled with air not stem pump fuel just a suggestion I'm not a professional troubleshooting
Old 12-22-2013, 12:05 AM

Also check your check your security system if you have 1 on the key chain arm it disarm it arm it disarm it arm it disarm it then try to start it did you ever disconnected the battery for a long time wilthe alarm was on some vehicles will be need to be reset just a thought hope this helps
Old 12-22-2013, 07:53 AM

Good ideas but I think its the fuel pump its pumping gas but not enough I believe I squirted starting fluid in it and it started then died asked my dads girlfrieds grandson whos a UTI trained tech hes a young but really good mechanic he told me its more then likely my fuel pump his moms car which is a Ford taurus did the same thing pump fuel but not enough to start it so thats the first thing Im going to change what I did was put a new pump on my fuel pump assembly I didnt put in a whole fuel pump assembly and I did notice yesterday when I pulled it to check the 2 power wires theres corrosion on all the wires on the fuel pump assembly I guess thats what you get when a neighbor puts it together for you and doesnt know what green wires mean. Thanks guys Ill be checking the sensors just to check then but my scan tool shows no codes thrown.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

My truck did that when I replaced my intake manifold and spark plug. If finally started after I took the air intake tube back off and unplugged the MAF. As soon as I plugged it back in it died, but then it started up like it should have. Also have you tried flooring the gas pedel when you try to start it?
Old 12-22-2013, 03:07 PM

yea I tried pumping the gas pedal holding it to the floor nothing worked until I squirted some starting fluid in it then it started for a sec then died but I took the fuel pump off again today and with the fuel lines unhooked its squirting fuel out of the pump when the key is turned on but not turned to start position just a little bit of fuel and I also noticed that the rubber boot that's on the pump motor is how do I say it melting. My fuel pump motor boot and hose connected to fuel pump all melted into a big glob of rubber so I cleaned it all up and drained the fuel that was in it but it's doing it again what the hell is going on do I need a new fuel tank or have to drain the 3 gallons of fresh fuel I just put in it and clean it with something I don't want this running through my fuel lines if it's going to wreck them. Tomorrow I'm buying a new fuel filter just to rule that out if its clogged. My fuel looks reddish almost like there's rust in it. Please help. I'll unhook the MAF and try to start but not sure if that's part of my problem.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:35 PM

If finally started after I took the air intake tube back off and unplugged the MAF. As soon as I plugged it back in it died, but then it started up like it should have.

Ok UPDATE it started by doing exactly what you said by unhooking air intake tube and unplugging MAF and then put it back together it fired right up stubbled a few times but finally got it running smoothly. But tomorrow I'm going to buy new spark plugs air filter and fuel filter and maybe a few other small items since it's been sitting still for 4 years yea it's totally my fault why it's sat there I just had to many vehicles and still do but man I miss my truck. Thanks guys I can't believe I got it running good. But I still want to know why the rubber pieces on my fuel pump are deforming. any ideas why or how to stop it.

Quick Reply: cranks over but wont start