Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

cranks but doesnt always fire in humid or hot weather

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cranks but doesnt always fire in humid or hot weather

I have a tempermental 2000 f150 that will not always start when the weather is warm and/or humid... I have NO problems in the winter, but as soon as Spring hits, this cycle starts over: I'll jump in my truck and attempt to start multiple times... it'll turn over-and-over each time, but not fire-up. Then, for no rhyme or reason, it'll finally start up.

I'm hoping someone else might give me input as to where I should go from here - suggestions on where to start looking. Again, it doesn't happen in the winter... just when it's warm/hot, moist/wet outside...

Thanks for your help, in advance!
Old 06-11-2009, 04:51 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem could be the moister. Check under the dash on the driver side and look for water leak behind the fuse block. The GEM is behind the block and F150s have had problems with leaking windshield and water getting into the GEM which can cause all kinds of problems including starting.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by torkum
The problem could be the moister. Check under the dash on the driver side and look for water leak behind the fuse block. The GEM is behind the block and F150s have had problems with leaking windshield and water getting into the GEM which can cause all kinds of problems including starting.

...and if that's fine? i'm having similar problems once i drive it then try to start it it's fine but initial start ups in the mornings have been bad to where it sounds like it's not getting enough gas and sputters till i hit the gas. i've changed plugs, wires and fuel filter, also tried a few injector cleaners
Old 06-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Ford 150 turbo

Head gasket... ill expain why. during the winter gaskets shrink... therefor no leak occurs. during spring/summer orwarms up. the gaskets warm up which will cause them to expand. therefore if there is a break in the gasket it leaks. because of this there is coolant leaking into the cylinder's. this will cause starting problems due to coolant being non-flamable. do you have coolent missing? if you still have coolent and dont have to fill it up then its not that. but there you go for a starter on your problem. hit me up if you find out more.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by liftedfordturbo
Head gasket... ill expain why. during the winter gaskets shrink... therefor no leak occurs. during spring/summer orwarms up. the gaskets warm up which will cause them to expand. therefore if there is a break in the gasket it leaks. because of this there is coolant leaking into the cylinder's. this will cause starting problems due to coolant being non-flamable. do you have coolent missing? if you still have coolent and dont have to fill it up then its not that. but there you go for a starter on your problem. hit me up if you find out more.
my truck only has 65K miles though......i mean it makes sense just not for my truck....
Old 06-13-2009, 09:11 AM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Ken, have you checked for corroded battery cables at your starter?
Old 06-13-2009, 08:49 PM

haha yeah i checked all my grounds the head gasket makes sense but i highly doubt that on my truck i cleanded my M.A.F. sensor i dk got me stumped
Old 06-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Ford 150 turbo

Originally Posted by ken.norwich
haha yeah i checked all my grounds the head gasket makes sense but i highly doubt that on my truck i cleanded my M.A.F. sensor i dk got me stumped
well the head gasket is an easy way to tell. check your coolent level's. if you have to put coolent in it every now and then, then your coolant is going somewhere. just a thought.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:48 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by speedbump
I have a tempermental 2000 f150 that will not always start when the weather is warm and/or humid... I have NO problems in the winter, but as soon as Spring hits, this cycle starts over: I'll jump in my truck and attempt to start multiple times... it'll turn over-and-over each time, but not fire-up. Then, for no rhyme or reason, it'll finally start up.

I'm hoping someone else might give me input as to where I should go from here - suggestions on where to start looking. Again, it doesn't happen in the winter... just when it's warm/hot, moist/wet outside...

Thanks for your help, in advance!
I have the exact same problem as Speedbump with my 2001 f150. Went to start this morning - no rain, but 85% humidity - turns over and over but won't fire. Tried it later in the day - started immediately ! With the weather forecast, tomorrow will be a repeat... Local shop says "seal the windshield", but I have absolutely no other electrical issues.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:08 AM

Tell me about it, hoosierdaddy! This morning, once again, it turned over and over... finally started... but the problem is sometimes it can take up to 20 minutes before the darn thing will start! I've been stranded a few times.
My father is a mechanic with +30 years of experience - he just doesn't know. The few times he's taken it, it won't repeat my issue... his suggestion was to take it in to a Ford dealership (ask them if it's a common issue)... so I started here, instead. Would love to have the money to do so, but...
It's been frustrating. I'm a single woman who has changed her own brakes, rotors and alternator, but can't even pretend to know what to do with this one!
So, yes, any input out there is much appreciated - It'd be sweet to talk with others, such as yourself, with the same firing issue... 2 heads are def. better than one.

Thanks all for contributions.

Quick Reply: cranks but doesnt always fire in humid or hot weather