Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Clutch Brake Pedal Assembly

Old 05-17-2013, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Brake Pedal Assembly

Hello everyone. I have a '98 4.2 5speed. The clutch and brake pedals are having play in them. It's been getting worse over time and I've put it off because I didn't have time for the truck to be down nor the money to fix the problem.

After searching Google for quite some time now I've just come up with nothing. It's rather disappointing. I've seen tons of pictures and posts about the previous generation about replacing the pedal shaft bushings, but none for our 10th gen. I went over to Ford last week and looked at the pictures on their computer. 97-98 are apparently different that 99-03? Is it by chance a slight difference? Unfortunately the pictures didn't go into detail, where as the super duty pictures did. Now of course Ford is going to try and get as much as they possibly can get out of you by having you replace the whole damn assembly. Is there a website that'll custom make the bushings or can I swap in a 99-03 bushings?

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

With the clutch pedal having play, it could be time for a new clutch, or possibly have air in the lines. As far as the brake pedal having play could you describe that better
Old 05-17-2013, 10:06 PM

I doubt it's the clutch for the reasons here. When I go to depress the clutch the brake pedal gets lighter and also has play in it. I can put my foot behind the brake pedal and move it around as well as the clutch pedal.

While driving around the clutch pedal can get incredibly light and it feels like its non-existant. At other times while taking off it grabs as soon as I move my foot even slightly. Those two things can be incredibly frustrating.

Hopefully this clears it up.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:36 AM
Will work for parts

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Try re-bleeding the clutch, I had the same issue an finally ended up being a leaking slave.

I beleive that the pedal assemblies will swap out though
Old 05-18-2013, 05:16 AM

Oh that sucks about the slave lol. I had the master and slave cylinders replaced in December 2011. If I have enough fluid I'll bleed it this weekend to see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Brake Pedal Assembly