Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Ceramic Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ceramic Brake Pads

New to the site, so if I'm posting in the wrong place, please let me know. Just replaced brakes on 2002 5.4 4wd with Powerstop K16 Ceramic pads. New rear rotors, resurfaced fronts, new mounting hardware, new slides/pins all around...

First thing in the morning, the brakes squeal and holler like I'm dragging a dog down the road (just driving, no brakes on). After the first braking cycle the noise stops and everything is good. I checked to make sure the pads were in the right direction, Calipers are not seized, backings are lubed... Again, no noise on braking but that squeal while driving first thing in the morning.

An "online mechanic" told me that it was 'normal' for ceramics because of rust on the rotors and would break in within a couple of weeks. Any Suggestions???
Old 03-23-2017, 01:32 PM
mbb

Received 895 Likes on 736 Posts

Did you break the pads in per mfg instructions?

I experience none of your problem
Old 03-23-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I followed the manufacturers "burn-in" protocols. I agree, never heard anything like it, that's what's bothering me...
Old 03-23-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 5,552 Likes on 4,629 Posts

I'd never use Ceramics on a truck personally or anything just as heavy, but yea somethings not right and no, that's definitely not normal. Asinine responses from online so called mechanics are unfortunately.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:13 PM
mbb

Sure its brakes?

Wheel bearing?

Like i said, no problems on my supercrew after 30k miles.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I installed power stop Z36 (ps website says ceramic) no noise, no dust, stops great.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:37 AM

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts

Did you clean the rotors up good with brake cleaner before installing them?

How about greasing the slides on the calipers? Maybe they are hanging up a bit and causing drag.

Brake lines that have never been replaced can also cause a brake dragging situation as the insides deteriorate.

One more thing, some me won't agree with me and that's fine. But I have changed the brakes on my truck numerous times and I will tell you first hand ceramics are absolutely the wrong way to go. They offer less initial bite when you brake since they need to heat up to perform at their best. Mine actually glazed over and started chattering as I came to a stop. I switched to a nice semi-metallic pad and I could tell right away I had a major improvement. Been 20k hard miles since then and no chatter or glazing. Also, I don't see very much brake dust, but even if I did I would rather be able so stop fast than have my wheels look good.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:59 AM

Received 5,552 Likes on 4,629 Posts

I agree with you 100%. I swore by Ceramics for years, learned the hard way at close to the worst possible time. I used Ceramics for so long I had forgotten how good brakes should actually work and feel.

I have my POWER brakes back with Semi Metallic's. Just have to touch the pedal and it stops much quicker. Sucks that it took a couple close calls to spark an interest in figuring that out. With Ceramics, it takes more pedal to stop the truck hands down. More friction, more heat are also an adverse affect of ceramics. I needed my brakes on a very hot day last summer, close to 100* outside and they glazed right up. Come to find out the F250 and 1 ton guys won't touch ceramics and that is the reason why.

I might use them on a light car, if that. Being you can get good semi metallic that don't dust that bad (they are making hybrids now), it's really the way to go all around.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:58 AM

Received 6,475 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Sounds to me like you're dragging pads as well. The constant squeak is a dead give away. Could be bad brake hoses, as DrillRig said, bent brake hardware, dry caliper pins.....

I put ceramics on my truck back in October(ish) and I just bought some Wagner Quick Stop Semi-Metallics (had a set on it already and loved them) to replace them. The ONLY thing I like about the ceramics is the lack of brake dust. Other than that, those are a complete waste of money for a big truck.I might try some hybrids some day, but I'll research that a bit more before I go off half-cocked and make the mistake of making me brake performance worse.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:09 PM
mbb

I used semi-metallic for 200k on the F150, 240K on Z71, 205K on Toyota,

I cant tell a difference. Wait yes I can . Theres no dust on wheels.
These big trucks dont stop like a little car no matter what.
If I push pedal hard and antilock starts doing its thing.....the brakes work as well as they are able.

But doesnt supercrew has larger brakes than supercabs, like for expedition? Maybe that makes a difference.

Last edited by mbb; 03-24-2017 at 07:13 PM.