Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Catalytic Converter Removal???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Converter Removal???

Well im wanting to upgrade my exhaust system and was thinking about removing my (2) rear cats! To my understanding there is a o2 sensor behind the front 2 cats and one behind the rear 2 cats?
Im guessing my truck will throw a code if I remove the rear 2 cats? If so is there any way to turn the code off and bypass it so it will stay off? And what will it effect when the code does come up?
Thanks for any help!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:24 AM
ford till I die

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed my two rear cats a few weeks ago and the sensor didnt go off. my sensor was after the cats
Old 05-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Leave Them Alone:

Why not leave the pipes with the sensor bosses and sensors in place? Replace the cats with "test pipes".

EGO sensors have a good deal to say about the fuel/air mixture ratio. If you remove the rear sensors, the system should detect the absence of the sensors as a malfunction and go into a limp-home mode that may or may not adversely affect performance and/or fuel mileage.

I really don't see the logic behind removing the cat converters. They have very little flow resistance and don't cut down performance in any real way.....maybe a couple of percent that would only be important if you were running at the speedway in Daytona.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kattumaram
Why not leave the pipes with the sensor bosses and sensors in place? Replace the cats with "test pipes".

EGO sensors have a good deal to say about the fuel/air mixture ratio. If you remove the rear sensors, the system should detect the absence of the sensors as a malfunction and go into a limp-home mode that may or may not adversely affect performance and/or fuel mileage.

I really don't see the logic behind removing the cat converters. They have very little flow resistance and don't cut down performance in any real way.....maybe a couple of percent that would only be important if you were running at the speedway in Daytona.
Im confused on your post, are you saying take the cats and sensors off and run straight pipe? Is that what you by test pipe?
And I dont understand I want to get every little bit of performance out of it as I can being stock, why would i leave some on the line??
Old 05-14-2010, 08:12 PM

I was planning on leaving the sensors in but just removing the cats and thats it!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I deleted the rear cats in my 2001 f150 and it didn't throw a code.
My rear o2 sensors were mounted in the rear cats so i removed them from the cat and welded a o2 bung on the straight pipe that was going in place of the cat,thread the o2 sensors into the o2 bung and weld the straight pipe in place of the cat.If your o2 sensors are behind the rear cats all you have to do is replace the cat with a piece of exhaust pipe.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by B.C.XLT
I deleted the rear cats in my 2001 f150 and it didn't throw a code.
My rear o2 sensors were mounted in the rear cats so i removed them from the cat and welded a o2 bung on the straight pipe that was going in place of the cat,thread the o2 sensors into the o2 bung and weld the straight pipe in place of the cat.If your o2 sensors are behind the rear cats all you have to do is replace the cat with a piece of exhaust pipe.
hmm ok good info, thanks, i wonder if mine o2s are in the cat itself or not, ill have to check soon
Old 05-14-2010, 08:40 PM

Form everything I have ever read in reguards to cats is that they don't really hurt performance all that much by removing them you are trading low end torque for some hi end HP that you probably wont even notice for the effort I would look into a better exhaust or something on the intake side ie cold air.
Just my .02
Old 05-15-2010, 12:39 PM

hmm well i think im going to put the muffler on and see how it sounds and feels then if i decide to take the cats off later then so be it
Old 05-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Back in Old Times:

Originally Posted by dpstang98gt
Im confused on your post, are you saying take the cats and sensors off and run straight pipe? Is that what you by test pipe?
And I dont understand I want to get every little bit of performance out of it as I can being stock, why would i leave some on the line??
Back in the old days a "test pipe" was employed to replace a cat converter and keep the car street legal. Cats in the olden days were definitely an impediment to performance and the straight run "test pipe" made quite a difference.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter Removal???