Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Bumper Installation Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper Installation Bolts

Hey everyone.

I have a 2003 Ford F150 SuperCrew. I picked it up with pre-existing damage, mainly to the back end. The bumper was pretty much screwed, so I kept shopping my local salvage yard until I found a replacement.

Today, I scored. $50 for a replacement chrome bumper with the rubber coating intact. The salvage yard just torched it off from the vehicle they had, so it has some of the body attached with it. No worries, especially for the price.

The 4 bumper bolts are a bit rusted (and I know my existing bolts are rusted as well). When I throw this replacement on, I'd prefer to use new nuts and bolts to make sure that I don't run into issues with the existing bolts.

Is there a part number, or is this something I could pick up at a local home improvement store, or .. ?? Where can I find replacement bolts easily (*ahem* without paying ten zillion dollars at the dealership).

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-06-2016, 10:19 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

Take a bolt out, go to Ace hardware or a place that has a thread chart and you'll know what size you have / need. The store I go do has a thing you can thread your bolt or nut in / on so you know exactly what size you need.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:26 AM

Received 5,545 Likes on 4,623 Posts

TSC might be your best bet. Be sure to get a grade 8 replacements at least. Since you have the existing, it's all you need really for sizing up.. Fords bumper bolts are of great quality on these trucks usually...a good grade of stainless, - not the shiny kind. But yea, if corrosion has borrowed in (not just on the surface) replace them.

You get what you pay for in automotive bolts. You won't find these at ANY hardware. They are 14's , - maybe 12 series bolts and pricey. So IF you can salvage the old (after a wire wheeling) do it.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:10 AM

Received 6,471 Likes on 4,609 Posts

Yeah, you'll probably not find these at Lowes or the Depot. If you have a Fastenal or Marshall around, they'll probably have what you need. I've got a place here locally, Ray Fasteners, that sells anything and everything you'd need for an automotive fastener. If not, you can also order stuff like that from McMaster Carr.

Update... here are some web links for the above sources:

http://www.marshallshardware.com/

http://www.mcmaster.com/

https://www.fastenal.com/

The place here locally, Ray Fasteners, appears to only be a local business.

Last edited by white89gt; 04-07-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:01 PM

Yea but, if you want the same quality (strength), only place other than the dealer will be fleabay. At the top of the bolt there will be a number, like 9.8, 10.9, 12.6 ect... Punch those numbers at eBay, you can cut the dealer price x50% if you can find them.

Should be fine with a grade 8 though, that's what most settle with. Honestly, I'd use what you have. Rust even has a hard time penetrating those bad boys. Usually will clean up well.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:17 PM

OR, try a google search, someone other may be supplying by now, that never hurts to try.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:17 PM

Received 6,471 Likes on 4,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Yea but, if you want the same quality (strength), only place other than the dealer will be fleabay. At the top of the bolt there will be a number, like 9.8, 10.9, 12.6 ect... Punch those numbers at eBay, you can cut the dealer price x50% if you can find them.

Should be fine with a grade 8 though, that's what most settle with. Honestly, I'd use what you have. Rust even has a hard time penetrating those bad boys. Usually will clean up well.
I order stuff from them all the time, so I do know that McMaster Carr goes up to 12.9 metric or Grade 9 standard.

Quick Reply: Bumper Installation Bolts