Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

brake issue please help!?! 97 f150

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation brake issue please help!?! 97 f150

My brake line from the master cylinder, front line coming out of master cylinder to the abs box rotted and i lost brakes. But before i realized that the line rotted i thought the master cylinder went, i replaced that and in the process i found the rotted line. So i replaced the line with one from pepboys that already has the fittings, u just have to bend it urself. I bled all the lines in order as the bible states, but my pedal feels really spongy, doesnt go to the floor but atleast half way before it gets firm. Also, i had to stop fast the other day and when i pressed the brake harder then usual the rear wheels locked up and it felt like the front wheels did nothing, pedal didnt go to floor but about half way. Any ideas what could be wrong? Maybe still air in front brake lines? This is a 97 f150 5.4 auto 4x4 disc front, rear drums.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the proportion valve, i am not exactly certain where they are located but should be almost right under the cab driver side. And how does your back brake cylinders look, no leaking? They are cheap and sometime inside can get bad.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by GutsyHick
Check the proportion valve, i am not exactly certain where they are located but should be almost right under the cab driver side. And how does your back brake cylinders look, no leaking? They are cheap and sometime inside can get bad.
Rear cylinders are good, no leaks, ill check the valve tomorrow, but it didnt do this before the line rotted out.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:29 PM

Where abouts did the line rott out
Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 PM

Where abouts did the line rott out
Between the master cylinder and abs box under the air box. About half way between. Think the abs box still has air? Pedal feels sqwishy. Like its compressing air.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:40 PM

When you bleed the brakes you started at the passenger rear, then driver rear, then passenger front and finish at driver side. And i am not asking cause i dont think your not capable just wondering?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:47 PM

When you bleed the brakes you started at the passenger rear, then driver rear, then passenger front and finish at driver side. And i am not asking cause i dont think your not capable just wondering?
Yes, i have the speed bleeders so i could do it myself.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:51 PM

speed bleeders explain? I always bleed with two people always seemed to work the best, i tried using a vaccum pump and keep the lines under pressure but it still didnt work as good as someone in there pumping.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:59 PM

speed bleeders explain? I always bleed with two people always seemed to work the best, i tried using a vaccum pump and keep the lines under pressure but it still didnt work as good as someone in there pumping.
Speed bleeders look just like the regular bleeder valve, except they have a spring loaded check ball valve that only allows fluid to travel in one direction. Just crack open the bleeder like u normaly would, pump the pedal and fluid pushes the internal ball to flow out, tgen when u release the pedal the ball sucks closed to prevent air from coning in. Gimne a sec and ill post link.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:02 AM

http://www.speedbleeder.com/install.htm

Quick Reply: brake issue please help!?! 97 f150