Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Body paint options

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body paint options

Alright, so my 99 F150 XLT is factory red. The guy I bought from damaged the hood and tailgate. The hood has a couple of dents that wont pull out easily and some clear coat coming off. The tailgate is bent up really bad on the inside and is hard to open and close.

So, a while back I bought a used hood and tailgate ($100 for both) from a guy parting out a 2000 model. Only.. problem.. they are white. I planned to get them painted and put them on, but every shop around here wants a ridiculous price to paint just those two parts.

So.. asking for some honest opinions here. I'm young and I get some crazy ideas every now and then. I've considered painting the white hood and tailgate black with some sand paper, primer, and the best black spray paint and clear coat I can find. My wheels and tires are black, my windows are tinted (except the front two), I'm about to paint the grille black, and I'm getting a black RBP fuel door.

So, what I'm asking is.. would painting the hood and tailgate black look dumb and just plain mismatched on my red truck? Or would it kind of go along with the red and black theme I've got going?

OR would I be better off trying to sell the white parts and just go to a junk yard and try to find some cheap factory red parts?

Thanks ahead of time
Old 09-06-2012, 05:34 PM
call me Randy

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

IMO I don't think it would look to good with mismatched colors. I'd either pay someone to paint them or do it myself
Old 09-06-2012, 06:16 PM

I dont think they would look good black, personally I would leave the grill the way it is too looks good the way it is. but to each there own.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:28 PM
fxmf4

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I think it would look mis matched
Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by speciald300
I dont think they would look good black, personally I would leave the grill the way it is too looks good the way it is. but to each there own.
Well, the grill HAS to be painted.. The guy before me painted it red and it doesn't match the red of the truck, almost pink in some spots.

Haha so far, we're leaning towards not painting them black.. I don't know. Maybe it was just a dumb idea that somehow looked pretty cool in my head at some point.

Thanks for the opinions so far guys. Keep 'em coming.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are your wheels matte black? If so I would do grill and tailgate matte black and have the hood carbon fiber wrapped. Or option 2 take this as a chance to do a black racing stripe done when you get the hood and tailgate done.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you go black with those 2 also do the top of the truck too, make a like a huge black stripe. Use PLASTI-DIP, it is Matte black and you can remove it if you don't like it. No prep or clearing needed.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:19 PM

Well the wheels are not matte black. They're a pretty shiny gloss.

Hmmm.. that's actually not a bad idea, Jackdup..

Is plasti-dip expensive and/or hard to apply? Is there any way to have a gloss finish to plasti-dip?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here it is about $8 a can, and all you gotta do is clean the surface of any oil, grease or grime and then spray it on. I had done my wheels and all my trim on my last Expedition. I have pictures in my albums. Yeah you can clear coat it if you want to get a shiny finish, for my wheels I would use the tire gel on the Plasti Dip to get it glossy looking.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:11 AM

Hmmm... yeah after some research, my local Home Depot sells it for $6 a can. They also make a clearcoat plasti-dip that's made to give the plasti-dip a gloss finish, but that doubles the cost because that stuff is $8 a can.

Idk.. I'm considering it!

Quick Reply: Body paint options