Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Blown Head Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM
Street Queen in the Mud

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Blown Head Gasket?

So I was out fiddling with the truck this afternoon and looked under the oil fill cap, and found this:
Blown Head Gasket?-6dgawcd.jpg

Blown Head Gasket?-r9sv3a5.jpg

Now I've never seen a blown head gasket before, but I have heard oil after it described as "baby ****". Is that what I have here?

If so, how much am I looking at to have it replaced?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:13 PM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by SR2K
So I was out fiddling with the truck this afternoon and looked under the oil fill cap, and found this:

Now I've never seen a blown head gasket before, but I have heard oil after it described as "baby ****". Is that what I have here?

If so, how much am I looking at to have it replaced?
Normal in the winter time when the cold air causes water to form on the cap after the engine cools down. When you pull the dipstick is the oil normal or milky if milky the that is water in the oil if normal then no worries.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

That's most likely just condensation as that's where is accumulates.
Unless when you drain your oil it's obvious.
Drain your oil and spin it in a centrifuge to see if there's any water/coolant in the oil.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlarv
Normal in the winter time when the cold air causes water to form on the cap after the engine cools down. When you pull the dipstick is the oil normal or milky if milky the that is water in the oil if normal then no worries.
x2.

Watch your coolant and oil closely if you suspect head gasket. White under cap is normal (Mine looks exactly like yours right now).

PS...searching would have been quicker as it's been covered numerous times.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 7700SCREW
Drain your oil and spin it in a centrifuge to see if there's any water/coolant in the oil.
Or send it in for a UOA to see if there are any indicators of coolant. Looks like a little more than normal condensation, but with a lot of short trips/old pcv it can be normal.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Street Queen in the Mud

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I checked the dipstick, and other than being a bit dirty (Oil change planned for this weekend) it was fine, no trace of anything but oil.

Originally Posted by otto457
Or send it in for a UOA to see if there are any indicators of coolant. Looks like a little more than normal condensation, but with a lot of short trips/old pcv it can be normal.
As far as I know, the pcv has never been replaced, and at this point most of my driving is less than 5 miles, so I would say thats probably it.

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket?