Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.
View Poll Results: Which Tuner Should I get?
SCT
87.50%
Edge
12.50%
Other > Diablo, Gryphon, Bullydog, ect.
0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Best Tuner for 03 5.4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Tuner for 03 5.4?

Hello I am looking to get a tuner to wake up the truck but would also like the ability to do transmission, TC lockup, wheelsize, and diff gearing adjustments myself.

I am on a bit of a budget and I am wondering what the best tuner would be for me.

I have been looking at this one >

http://5startuning.com/product/1-7015-x4-flash-devices/

and then the Edge programmers.

I plan to stick with 87 octane and dont have a really much by way of engine mods besides K&N filter, and then I have a slightly better exhaust from cats back (resonator rather than mufflers.) Only mods I might be planning in the near future would be Gotts mod and potentially headers. Want to keep the engine durable.

So any recommendations on tuners I listed or others, or places to buy them from? Can I get the adjustable features I want or are they all locked down?

Thanks,

Ben
Old 10-19-2015, 06:38 PM

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Mpt is good with the x4. 3 custom tunes with the tuner included.
The following users liked this post:
Merp (10-20-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 07:22 PM
Why

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

SCT. MPT tune.
Merp (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

MPT and SCT, great combo, but don't expect it to "wake up" your truck (no matter who you go with), especially if you stay with an 87 tune. I have an 87 "performance" tune with a "street" shift from MPT and really notice no difference in power or gas mileage, but it does shift better.
Even a 91/93 octane tune really will not do a lot, these trucks just do not gain performance from a programmer like the new ones do.
I would not mess with the settings of the tunes unless you really know what your doing. You can cause a lot of problems doing it wrong.

Last edited by blupupher; 10-20-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Merp (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blupupher
MPT and SCT, great combo, but don't expect it to "wake up" your truck (no matter who you go with), especially if you stay with an 87 tune. I have an 87 "performance" tune with a "street" shift from MPT and really notice no difference in power or gas mileage, but it does shift better.
Even a 91/93 octane tune really will not do a lot, these trucks just do not gain performance from a programmer like the new ones do.
I would not mess with the settings of the tunes unless you really know what your doing. You can cause a lot of problems doing it wrong.
Thanks guys, sounds like MPT+SCT is the way to go from a day of posting. Blupupher I just meant wake up as far as not shift so lazily and give a bit more pep to the throttle response. I do not expect large gains like you would with a turbo motor such as a diesel or ecoboost. I have an STI for that, which is also why I am going with 87 Oct. don't want to pay the premium fuel price for a truck that drinks it like water. Plus its much easier to deal with when you don't have to worry about finding 93. (only at a few brand stations in MN) One of the main reasons for the tuner is for harder shifts so I don't burn out the trans. Not to worried about tweaking settings, been messing with them for a while on my other cars tunes. Just wanted the ability to tweak all-the-things I suppose as that is part of the fun

Quick Reply: Best Tuner for 03 5.4?