Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

best fuel additive and price

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best fuel additive and price

I was gonna throw some kind of fuel additive into my 02 5.4L to clean the injectors and maybe make the engine run a little better and maybe in return see a mpg or 2 increase im just curious which brand is the best for the money and how much it costs. Thanks
Old 02-13-2012, 11:56 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

IMO no fuel additives actually work any better than what they already put in any name brand gas. I used to work at a fuels and lubricants lab working with stuff like this, also testing different types of pils and such. You would be surprised how much snake oil is sold on the market.

If you feel your injectors are dirty, I would just have an injector service done on it. for a hundred bucks or so, at least your injectors will be clean and your intake will be serviced as well. Just my .02, but most name brand gas companies have injector detergents in them already...so the bottled injector cleaners are not all that effective.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Beretta

Originally Posted by zero2Fx4
I was gonna throw some kind of fuel additive into my 02 5.4L to clean the injectors and maybe make the engine run a little better and maybe in return see a mpg or 2 increase im just curious which brand is the best for the money and how much it costs. Thanks
Lucas products , been using them for years, can't hurt to keep injectors clean with high quality gas we burn now days. my $.02
Old 02-14-2012, 08:31 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP281
IMO no fuel additives actually work any better than what they already put in any name brand gas.
Yes, but they're at such low levels unless you use a top tier fuel religiously there's probably some deposits. This is why in the industry they began to bottle the same additives they put in the fuel. Most notably of these is a group of compounds called polyether amines (PEA). PEA was patented years ago and is considered the gold standard for fuel system cleaning. I've put a link below to an older SAE paper done on PEA and it still rings true today Other companies (Lucas, Seafoam) use a combination of pale oils and solvents which aren't nearly as effective on deposits and have little effect on carbon. Chevron Techron, Gumout Regane, 3M, Redline SL-1, and Amsoil PI all have a good amount of PEA in them.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...4vTSjGRQ&pli=1
Old 02-14-2012, 09:28 AM

IANAE but I've read in many places that Techron is the best stuff. Seafoam is good for keeping valves clean and works great on my motorcycle carburetors, but doesn't have the right volatile solvents for the injectors, as noted above.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:50 AM

i put some stuff called 44k,its kind of exspensive but it cleans fuel lines injectors,removes carbon off plugs
Old 02-14-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by otto457
Yes, but they're at such low levels unless you use a top tier fuel religiously there's probably some deposits. This is why in the industry they began to bottle the same additives they put in the fuel. Most notably of these is a group of compounds called polyether amines (PEA). PEA was patented years ago and is considered the gold standard for fuel system cleaning. I've put a link below to an older SAE paper done on PEA and it still rings true today Other companies (Lucas, Seafoam) use a combination of pale oils and solvents which aren't nearly as effective on deposits and have little effect on carbon. Chevron Techron, Gumout Regane, 3M, Redline SL-1, and Amsoil PI all have a good amount of PEA in them.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...4vTSjGRQ&pli=1
Yea, we used to do some tests with PEA, hense why I use Chevron gas 100% of the time. lol

Quick Reply: best fuel additive and price