Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Bearing type front end engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearing type front end engine noise

Hello, everyone. I have done some forum searching but still felt a need to get some ideas: fairly loud front end noise just started on '01. I just replaced the alternator a couple of months ago. Last night, I thought it might be noise from bearings out, so due to 150K miles and just trying to eliminate, put in new idler pulley and tensioner pulley. Same noise. Sometimes it appears louder on revving motor, but not on others. Smells a little hot. No water leaks at the water pump. I tried to put a pvc pipe behind it for a mini--stethoscope and it seemed louder, but again not sure. The alt is definitely not it. Neighbor and I seemed to feel it was more center of the motor in front. On running at idle, the temp stays same. A/c seems to run fine at this point.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Gonz
Old 08-22-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by gonz55
Hello, everyone. I have done some forum searching but still felt a need to get some ideas: fairly loud front end noise just started on '01. I just replaced the alternator a couple of months ago. Last night, I thought it might be noise from bearings out, so due to 150K miles and just trying to eliminate, put in new idler pulley and tensioner pulley. Same noise. Sometimes it appears louder on revving motor, but not on others. Smells a little hot. No water leaks at the water pump. I tried to put a pvc pipe behind it for a mini--stethoscope and it seemed louder, but again not sure. The alt is definitely not it. Neighbor and I seemed to feel it was more center of the motor in front. On running at idle, the temp stays same. A/c seems to run fine at this point.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Gonz
New belt? Pull it off check the pulleys and tensioner for a bad bearing. It's very possible. Won't cost you anything and it'll eliminate it. Check belt, replace if bad while your at it.
The following users liked this post:
gonz55 (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by 02_Black_On_White
New belt? Pull it off check the pulleys and tensioner for a bad bearing. It's very possible. Won't cost you anything and it'll eliminate it. Check belt, replace if bad while your at it.
02 thanks yes, I did pull the belt inspected and it was good, so did not replace. I did what you said before and already have replaced the tensioner and idler pulleys anyway. Still have the noise!

Gonz
Old 08-22-2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by gonz55
02 thanks yes, I did pull the belt inspected and it was good, so did not replace. I did what you said before and already have replaced the tensioner and idler pulleys anyway. Still have the noise!

Gonz
@carcrazygts2 @tackle @jbrew these guys can help you. A vid would be a great tool for them I'm sure.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the help. Will do that, get a video posted!
Old 08-22-2015, 08:31 PM

Default noise video

Ok Guys, here is the video of the noise. Timing chain or what?

Thanks!!
Old 08-22-2015, 08:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like my metal cutting chop saw.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:24 PM

Whole lee chit. Get this man some help I have no idea but that sounds terrible. I wouldn't drive until you get it figured out. Timing chain guide? I'm lost I've never been that far in the motor... Knock on wood. Someone here should have a pretty good idea they know their stuff.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:08 PM

Any thought about this engine noise on my '01? This is one heck of a noise! Thanks,

Gonz
Old 08-23-2015, 08:30 PM

Going to the Ford shop in am. Hope I can get there its about 12 miles from the house. More than I can do anyway. I am thinking it is the timing chain too loose maybe?! Any thoughts appreciated. Wish me luck!

Quick Reply: Bearing type front end engine noise