Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Bad Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Catalytic Converter

1999 XLT 4.6L Triton V8 199,280 miles

I think I have a bad bank 1 catalytic converter. It all started with a P0420 code. Misfire plug 3 code soon after. I cleared the codes, changed the plugs and changed O2 sensors up and down stream; no new error codes yet. It’s running decently but the live data has me pretty sure I will be replacing the cat. At operating temp, my downstream O2 sensor is oscillating pretty wildly on bank 1. Bank 2 downstream is smooth.

I think this all stems from when I had to replace the intake manifold gasket about 8 months ago. It leaked all in my spark plug wells 1-4 and the engine valley. I replaced the gasket, kept the solid metal intake manifold (they make a plastic one?!) and it has been leak free. But I think that nasty stuff fouled my catalytic converter on that side. I think it’s finally giving up the ghost.

I already bought the direct fit cat for right side (y-pipe), but just thought I would check if I’m missing something.

Last edited by Cheerum; 01-23-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your exhuast smells funny like eggs and sulfer the cats bad if it doesnt smell it might be ok, give your truck a hard test drive and look at the cats underneath to see if they go bright red if they dont there probably not clogged. are your fuel trims low and working right? if not theres probably a vaccum leak if they are high which might be the issue.

Quick Reply: Bad Catalytic Converter