Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

**Backup Sensors on an 03'?**

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 01:49 PM
03' King Ranch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question **Backup Sensors on an 03'?**

Backup sensors on an 03?
Has anyone ever put backup sensors on an 03?

I hate backing my truck up, can't hardly see but yet my parents 4x4 F250 KR Super Crew Extended bed i can back up just fine, and the backup sensors make it even easier and I WANT THEM!!!

Does anyone have these? Do they look good/stock? Is it hard to do? Whats the best? Thanks!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:48 PM
03' King Ranch

Anyone?? Anything?
Old 09-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

You can get an aftermarket one...stock would require a wiring harness and switch...which your truck don't have.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:23 PM
03' King Ranch

Originally Posted by techrep
You can get an aftermarket one...stock would require a wiring harness and switch...which your truck don't have.
Yeah, I know it'd be aftermarket...Im asking if anyone has. They did't offer them stock on 03 or later I believe.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I looked into a rear video camera and it is a great solution (a friend has a new truck with that option and it displays the camera image in the rear view mirror, pretty cool) and not too expensive and mounts in minutes on the license plate holder bolts, but I managed to aim my side mirrors to where I can see the blind spots pretty good. If it really bothers you, take the tailgate off and put a net on the rear, you can see through that. I saw a guy parallel park an older super cab with and extended bed today. I mean that thing must have been 50 feet long. He did it just fine just by experience.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:49 PM
03' King Ranch

Originally Posted by pickupsrule
I looked into a rear video camera and it is a great solution (a friend has a new truck with that option and it displays the camera image in the rear view mirror, pretty cool) and not too expensive and mounts in minutes on the license plate holder bolts, but I managed to aim my side mirrors to where I can see the blind spots pretty good. If it really bothers you, take the tailgate off and put a net on the rear, you can see through that. I saw a guy parallel park an older super cab with and extended bed today. I mean that thing must have been 50 feet long. He did it just fine just by experience.
My problem is the flareside bed...the tailgate end is 2" narrower than the cab end.

I can park my parents super crew Fx4 F250 extended bed no problem. The problem is the way the bed bends in on mine.

Net is not an option cause I have a toneau cover.

I have been looking at just the backup sensors that beep, like the ones that come on the newer models. But I have reciently decided on a Pioneer 4300DV headunit and I believe you can add something to it or wire it somehow to accept a backup camera.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with the rear camera, it's the best solution. The sensor thing is old and lame by today's standards. Besides, a high res rear color camera and a large flatscreen monitor (10-15") can be very helpful when viewing girls according to my friend. Backup sensors, are kind of useless for that purpose, as one would expect.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:48 PM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pickupsrule
Go with the rear camera, it's the best solution. The sensor thing is old and lame by today's standards. Besides, a high res rear color camera and a large flatscreen monitor (10-15") can be very helpful when viewing girls according to my friend. Backup sensors, are kind of useless for that purpose, as one would expect.
That's why my camera is hooked up to a toggle switch. It's nice to be able to turn it on whenever you want.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:58 PM
03' King Ranch

Originally Posted by skizriz

That's why my camera is hooked up to a toggle switch. It's nice to be able to turn it on whenever you want.
I never thought of the girls...very nice! I'm getting a Pioneer 4300DV which is plug and play compatible with a rearview camera.

Now that's a cool idea...being able to view the camera whenever.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 PM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitha6
I never thought of the girls...very nice! I'm getting a Pioneer 4300DV which is plug and play compatible with a rearview camera.

Now that's a cool idea...being able to view the camera whenever.
I have a different reciever, but the same concept.
Normally there is a wire that taps into your reverse light wire.Whenever you put the truck in reverse, the screen flips to the camera screen. The camera will then get powered up by the wire leading to your tail lights/reverse light.

For one I got tired of it coming on every time I put it into reverse. It just got annoying to me.
I also wanted to be able to have a look at my hitch when ever I wanted while towing the boat. Had a hitch come off of the ball one time.
That's why I hooked it up to a toggle switch to manually turn it on or off.

I picked up a licence plate bracket/camera at Walmart for about $50. It's clear as a bell. I've had a few people tell me it's much clearer than their factory or $200 camera. You can see great at night with just the reverse light lighting everything up. Can't beat it for the price.

Quick Reply: **Backup Sensors on an 03'?**