Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Anyone know how to wire electric exhaust cutout to push button?

Old 05-11-2014, 02:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone know how to wire electric exhaust cutout to push button?

I just bought an electric exhaust dump and figuring out some alternative wiring before it get here. right now I'm pretty sure it uses a reverse polarity switch. middle is off. one side it motor forward(open cutout) the other way is reverse(close cutout) and I dont think the motor automatically stops when flicked to one side so i have to return it to off when I think its fully open or closed.

What Id really like to do its wire it to this really nice glowing on/off push button but I have no idea how to make it work in this setup. I need to somehow automatically stop the motor when its fully open or close or at least stop with a timer so it doesn't burn out and have the cutout return to shut when the button is unpressed to off. here is a pic below if the switch wiring that comes with it.
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2014, 02:55 PM
International man of Myst

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

I could probably help you come up with something, but it would be important to know more about the motor on the cut out. It probably has built in limit switches to stop the motor at the extreme limits of travel, making this more difficult to do in a slick fashion (unless you ca get to the switches).
Old 05-11-2014, 09:27 PM

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=400598206181

There is the actual link to the product. It's all the information I have on it. I decided go go with this because the name brands cost almost 400. You can kind of see the what's going on. Now that I look closer it might have an auto stop.

Last edited by DesertRacer; 05-11-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:02 PM

Received 249 Likes on 217 Posts

The switch in your link is a DPDT with center off most likeley momitery. You can get that in a rocker switch if you perfer
Old 05-11-2014, 11:41 PM
International man of Myst

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertRacer
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=400598206181

There is the actual link to the product. It's all the information I have on it. I decided go go with this because the name brands cost almost 400. You can kind of see the what's going on. Now that I look closer it might have an auto stop.
Not looking good without knowing more. I'd bet it's a momentary switch and just relying on you running it for a bit and stopping. Not likely a good way to automate it slickly and prevent it from getting out of sync.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:57 AM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...FY17fgodegcAtA

I just found this rpm activated switch that just sends a positive charge after a certain rpm. looking on videos it looks like the cutout moves fast enough to open fully after probably 2500rpm when flooring it. Say it does after all have a limit switch when its fully open, any idea how I could wire it to return to shut? (automatically reverse polarity)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone know how to wire electric exhaust cutout to push button?