Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Antifreeze Dark, Clueless as to why

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Antifreeze Dark, Clueless as to why

Ok here is the story… I have a 97 f150 4.6 L manual trans with 125000 miles. It does not run or sound unusual however there are a few things I am not sure about. I replaced the antifreeze recently and its already very dark and when I look into the overflow it looks like there could be a little bit of an oil like substance floating on top. In addition it seems like it is blowing an excess amount of steam out the rear (even though it is winter). Also the oil fill cap has that condensation residue all over it with a greenish tint. And last there is a slight smell of burning antifreeze when I open the hood.

Now if this was all I noticed I would know it’s either a blown head gasket or something of the like however this is the confusing part. The antifreeze level does not drop; there is no sign of antifreeze in the motor oil. The condensation residue on the oil cap does not have the sweet taste like antifreeze should, and I cant not see any oil sweating or leaking out of the head gasket seal.

Any advice you can provide I will greatly appreciate, thank you in advance.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Rent the coolant pressure tester from AutoZone to see if you have a leak. The rust in the system might take a couple more flushes to get out completely.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze Dark, Clueless as to why