Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

All Terrain Tire Choices

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 08:25 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default All Terrain Tire Choices

I was originally gonna go with my normal choice of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs or a set of Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX's. But, I figured I'd ask around and see what people are using as far as a good set of all terrains. My tire size is 275/70r18

I'll be driving in pretty much everything you could possibly think of.
1.) Ice Rain
2.) Snow
3.) Mud (Not a ton, just the occasional bad Alaskan dirt road during the break-up and maybe a trail or two when I go shooting.)
4.) Pavement
5.) Rain
6.) Etc.

A budget isn't really a concern. I don't like to cheap out on new tires considering they are what keep me on the road and they can make or break a vehicle. I'd like to not spend more than 1100 bucks though... Main things that are an absolute must are:

1.) Good in snow and a little ice
2.) As quiet as possible, but I expect all terrains to be a bit noisy
3.) Be able to clear out snow, Ice, and mud out of the tread
4.) Longevity (Treadwear warranty would be fantastic)
5.) Safety
6.) Ride quality, again I have reasonable expectations with all terrains

BFG All Terrains are completely out of the question for me. I know someone is going to suggest them and I'll go ahead and tell you now why I don't like them. They are some of the WORST performing tires I have ever seen or had the misfortune of using. The don't clear out in the mud or snow and turn into slicks, they could do a lot better in the rain, are useless on any sort of ice, etc. I could go on for a fortnight on why I hate them. Most people I know don't like them up here either...
Old 09-01-2017, 08:33 PM
mbb

Received 894 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by link5631
I was originally gonna go with my normal choice of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs or a set of Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX's. But, I figured I'd ask around and see what people are using as far as a good set of all terrains. My tire size is 275/70r18

I'll be driving in pretty much everything you could possibly think of.
1.) Ice Rain
2.) Snow
3.) Mud (Not a ton, just the occasional bad Alaskan dirt road during the break-up and maybe a trail or two when I go shooting.)
4.) Pavement
5.) Rain
6.) Etc.

A budget isn't really a concern. I don't like to cheap out on new tires considering they are what keep me on the road and they can make or break a vehicle. I'd like to not spend more than 1100 bucks though... Main things that are an absolute must are:

1.) Good in snow and a little ice
2.) As quiet as possible, but I expect all terrains to be a bit noisy
3.) Be able to clear out snow, Ice, and mud out of the tread
4.) Longevity (Treadwear warranty would be fantastic)
5.) Safety
6.) Ride quality, again I have reasonable expectations with all terrains

BFG All Terrains are completely out of the question for me. I know someone is going to suggest them and I'll go ahead and tell you now why I don't like them. They are some of the WORST performing tires I have ever seen or had the misfortune of using. The don't clear out in the mud or snow and turn into slicks, they could do a lot better in the rain, are useless on any sort of ice, etc. I could go on for a fortnight on why I hate them. Most people I know don't like them up here either...

Im not going to argue about bfg
But snow tires arent supposed to clear necessarilly
Snow sticks to snow
Holding snow in tread is how all season tires work
At 40,000 my cooper at3s still have 75% tread or so, maybe more
Getting noisier, i imagine the rubber is getting harder as it. Wears down
Still p lanning same for next set

Quiet hwy manner, 5 rib design
Deep wide voids

At least as good as other at tires ive had offroad. Better on road when new, better price too.

Last edited by mbb; 09-01-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second the Cooper at/3's. Pretty much same scenario with milage and noise, not bad though. My only complaint about them is that their rock ejection sucks. I had volcanic gravel in my tires from Oregon, to So. Cal, back to the Bay Area. Other than that, rad tires.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:39 AM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

I like the look of the Cooper AT3, and they seem to have good reviews.

I was thinking about them when I needed tires, but no Discount Tire stores around me had them. They did have some Pathfinder SAT tires though, and I really like them. My use is 85% street (with lots of rain), 10% on dirt roads and off the beaten path (not really muddy even in rain) and maybe 5% a little mud (nothing crazy). I have no need for snow or ice rated tires, but the Pathfinder tires do have the snowflake on them for winter rating.

Link on Discount Tire site
Old 09-02-2017, 01:05 AM

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm using the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S.

Had then on for 7 years - excellent tire. One time when I took the truck in for tire rotation, service rep told me it's the tire he puts on his wife's vehicle.

https://www.discounttire.com/tires/b...-terrain-tires

Another good choice is the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10

https://www.discounttire.com/tires/b...-terrain-tires

This was my alternate choice.

Last edited by Dee Veloper; 09-02-2017 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:57 PM

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I have about 60k on my Toyo AT2 xtremes and they still pull me through some logging roads I have no business being on. I'll probably get 75k out them and still have tread. They are also some over the lighter E range ats so performance loss was at a minimum.

Another I would look into is new Falken Wildpeak AT3. Nice deep tread, really nice tread wear warranty, and a little easier on the wallet than most.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:39 AM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

Well I'm going to disagree with you on the BFG's, they're the best A/T tire I've personally ran but for me the runner up would be the Toyo A/T II. If you're like me and live in the PNW and won't support Les Schwab (the only outfit that can sell Toyo in the PNW) then I'd go for the Goodyear Duratrac.

For what it's worth I travel the US coast to coast for work and we only run BFG K/O II's on our truck (2015 Chevy 2500) and that's the tire I chose for my F-250 and I run the West coast routes in my truck so I don't have to keep driving the Chevy out here lol. We run into plenty of rain and snow and never had an issue. Before we put the BFG's on we ran Nitto terra grapplers which where quiet and did alright in the rain (not so good past say 35 MPH in a Florida downpour) and they didn't fair as well as we had hoped in the snow (left us spinning out a few times at the mall of America in Minnesota) Like I said, our BFG's have done us well, we have about 20k miles on them on the Chevy, I have about 5k miles on them on my truck. As far as noise, I have a diesel so my engine is louder than a lot of tires lol, but in the Chevy the tires are quieter than wind noise on the freeway. Ride quality of the BFG compared to the Duratrac is a lot worse but the Duratrac also has a lot thinner side wall allowing more flex and shock absorbance.

Out of the 3 tires, my #1 like I said is the BFG but you said you don't want to go that route so between the Duratrac and the Toyo I would have to ask how much snow do you have to drive through. The Duratrac is the better snow tire but I felt the Toyo was a better rain tire. My only complaint with the Toyo was that the tread blocks seemed to be perfectly spaced to pick up 5/8- gravel (standard driveway gravel) and not clean out until you get to higher speeds which threw them at the truck. I didn't have that problem as bad with the Duratracs but they still picked up a few rocks.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:41 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Like Red-Ford, I'm a BFG KO2 fan. I have absolutely no complaints driving the F150 in snow, rain, light mud, dirt/gravel roads, and on forest roads here in Colorado. That said, the Cooper AT3's on my wife's Escape are performing quite well, too.

EDIT: In AK, you might want to consider the Cooper ATW. Unlike the AT3, it has the Mountain/Snowflake rating. HERE is a review.

Last edited by OhioLariat; 09-03-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:57 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioLariat
Like Red-Ford, I'm a BFG KO2 fan. I have absolutely no complaints driving the F150 in snow, rain, light mud, dirt/gravel roads, and on forest roads here in Colorado. That said, the Cooper AT3's on my wife's Escape are performing quite well, too.

EDIT: In AK, you might want to consider the Cooper ATW. Unlike the AT3, it has the Mountain/Snowflake rating. HERE is a review.

First and foremost, sorry everyone. I've been super busy. Went and bought tires today at GCR and they had no Cooper Discover ATW's in stock, I liked what I saw and they were a lot cheaper than the other tire I was looking at.

Out of all the choices I had decided on, the only on that they had my tire size in stock was the Cooper Discover S/T Maxx. Which was what I had on my old truck and I liked them. They did phenomenal in the winter... But, I was wanting to try something else... But, oh well...

Also kind of off topic... tires for a 18in rim are really expensive. I don't even want to know how much people pay for tires when they have anything larger than that.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:27 AM
mbb

Received 894 Likes on 735 Posts

Many, myself included, order tires we want from whoever sell cheapest with shipping. Then have mounted at walmart. Buying local is
​​​ sure to be a few hundred more.