Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Air Bag Light Flashing when I start the truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 08:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Bag Light Flashing when I start the truck

My 1997 f150 XLT 4.6L airbag light flashes a 32 code. What is that? The Clock Spring bad? Or should I be looking at something else as a possible problem,\.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:29 PM
jtb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could very well be a clock spring. Remember that the clock spring is one of the few parts of your SRS/airbag system that constantly moves and wears. All it takes is a kink or break in one of the wires in that ribbon cable to set a fault, change radio stations by itself, screw with the cruise control, etc......provided you have those functions on your steering wheel. You can have just one of these problems while everything else works fine - just takes one small nip in one of the wires in the ribbon cable.

Does the code persist after the truck has been running a bit? Is it on all the time? Are there times when it doesn't come on at all? Has any work been done to the truck? Any work on the steering wheel or column? Any work on the steering / suspension under the truck? If it persists, you should have a clean break in that wire in the ribbon cable.....if it's intermittent, it's kinked or bent, sometimes making contact and sometimes not.

That code indicates a problem on the "driver's side." That leaves a few possibilities. I know that on my Nissan, "driver's side" meant possibly the clock spring, the driver's side airbag, or the pre-tensioner on the seat belt. Double check all connections before tearing into it. You should be able to remove the clock spring and do some continuity testing on the ribbon cable......Follow good practices when removing SRS/airbag components.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jtb
Could very well be a clock spring. Remember that the clock spring is one of the few parts of your SRS/airbag system that constantly moves and wears. All it takes is a kink or break in one of the wires in that ribbon cable to set a fault, change radio stations by itself, screw with the cruise control, etc......provided you have those functions on your steering wheel. You can have just one of these problems while everything else works fine - just takes one small nip in one of the wires in the ribbon cable.

Does the code persist after the truck has been running a bit? Is it on all the time? Are there times when it doesn't come on at all? Has any work been done to the truck? Any work on the steering wheel or column? Any work on the steering / suspension under the truck? If it persists, you should have a clean break in that wire in the ribbon cable.....if it's intermittent, it's kinked or bent, sometimes making contact and sometimes not.

That code indicates a problem on the "driver's side." That leaves a few possibilities. I know that on my Nissan, "driver's side" meant possibly the clock spring, the driver's side airbag, or the pre-tensioner on the seat belt. Double check all connections before tearing into it. You should be able to remove the clock spring and do some continuity testing on the ribbon cable......Follow good practices when removing SRS/airbag components.
Your hitting the nail on the head. I did replace the steering bearings about 3 months ago, and it's funny that this just happened. I am going to open it up again and see if one of the connectors are bad. It's not a hard job to take it apart and inspect. Thanks for the lead. I read somewhere that it could also be a disconnected connector under one of the seats, but I didnt see anything when I Looked for that.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:32 PM
jtb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look forward to hearing if that fixes it.

Quick Reply: Air Bag Light Flashing when I start the truck