Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Adjustable Lumbar Support - 99 to 03 XLT and Lariat

Old 02-06-2014, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable Lumbar Support - 99 to 03 XLT and Lariat

This is my first post here, I am new and just signed up. I'll probably be reading this forum a lot in the future including over the next several days. I hope I'm not asking too quickly but I searched a little and didn't see the answer I was looking for. I am planning to buy a 1999 to 2003 F150 extended cab, or supercab I think it's called, in the near future to have as a second vehicle and to have a truck. Probably a 99 or 00 and I am going to look for an XLT or a Lariat with as low of miles as possible.

I have an on/off back problem but with a good lumbar support in my car I am mostly pain free and can do normal things like I don't have a problem, so this is very important to me. My question is about the adjustable driver's seat lumbar supports in the XLT and the Lariat in the 99 to 03s. I know this can be subjective, but has anyone tried both the XLT and Lariat lumbar supports? Which one has a better back support or are they both about equal? Also what about the year differences from 99 - 03, do the lumbar supports change, or get better or worse over the yearly models? I don't know but I am assuming that the XLT has a manual lumbar adjuster and that the Lariat has a power button to adjust it's lumbar support. I don't care if it's a manual or power adjuster but how it feels on my back, whichever is a better back support is what I want. I want a good firm support that's adjustable, and not too high up in the seat back, and a firmer lumbar support is better to me.

Are there any other features or options that the 99 - 03 Lariat had that were not available on the XLT, worth mentioning? I will be searching some more for trim level differences on my own. Any info on the lumbar adjustments or anything else about the XLT vs Lariat would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by fone5o; 02-06-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:27 AM

Welcome to the forum.
I doubt you will find anyone who has different year models from which to give you a comparison of the different year of lumbar effectivity. , looks like I just made that word up, whatever.
My 98 XLT has a manual adjust. It doesn't work. . Anybody know why ?
Old 02-06-2014, 12:08 PM
2015 F-150 3.5 ecoboost

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Just an FYI. I got a 02 XL with driver manual lumbar support. I never use it lol. Though I can't really figure out where to set it lol. Anytime I attempt to set it. It feels I comfy for me. Srry dosent really answer question was jus FYI it's possible for XL's to have lumbar to lol.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:55 PM

I have an 02 XLT with manual support. You turn a round ****. It's very noticeable and I'm sure you can find a setting to your liking. But to be honest for this type of question you best bet is to get in one yourself and see if it works for you.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 PM

I have an 03 XLT. This is by far the best lumbar support I have ever had in a vehicle. In fact, I can't even turn it all the way up because it hurts. I don't think you will be disappointed!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:15 PM

Received 182 Likes on 168 Posts

They are all manual just up down and back and fourth is power laying the seat down and lumbar are manual even on my king ranch and the lumbar is great on these trucks also so that answers your question
Old 02-06-2014, 11:12 PM
Maintenance>Repairs

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is the lumbar support only in the buckets or is it in the split benches too?
Old 02-06-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 182 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by FunkSkunk
pretty sure it's in both the buckets are very nice though A lot of guys are switching to the buckets an console and getting rid of the bench
Old 02-07-2014, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by FunkSkunk
Mine is a split bench and has lumbar in both sides
Old 02-08-2014, 12:17 AM

Thanks for the responses and all the information. I drove an early 2000s Lariat once a few years ago and remember I liked the seat and the lumbar support, and the truck itself.

I will drive a few and see for myself. I was curious if one was obviously better than the other. Bad or no lumbar support in a truck would be a deal breaker for me.

At 10 to 15 years old now, I hope to find a good F150 with reasonably low miles for it's age, that's been properly maintained with oil and fluid changes. It's going to be my second vehicle, not my primary transportation.

I am also thinking about 4x4 or 4x2, I'll probably get whichever I find in the best condition first.

Last edited by fone5o; 02-08-2014 at 12:19 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adjustable Lumbar Support - 99 to 03 XLT and Lariat