Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

to adjust headlights..where are adj screws?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question to adjust headlights..where are adj screws?

i have an '03 reg cab with stock headlights. the driver side headlight needs to be raised a little. i found a thread here that describes how to park, do the measurements, etc-but not where the actual adjusting screws are located. when i open the hood and look down at the driver side headlight, i notice a long bolt on the left and towards the bottom of assembly. on the right towards the top of the assembly is another bolt. instead of an 'adjusting nut' on these bolts like i expected, there's a black piece of plastic instead. am i looking in the wrong place for the 'adjusting nut'???
Old 02-03-2009, 03:00 AM
F-Series Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are also two tabs on top of each head light assembly. You must pull up on these tabs and pull the headlight assembly out to gain access to the adjustment screws.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:29 AM

Question onefitty, i saw the tabs you're talking about...

but how do i know how much i've adjusted the headlight if i've pulled out the assembly? does this mean i have to keep pulling out assembly/adjust/reinstalling until i get the correct adjustment? thanks for the info by the way.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Good point, will have to look at my 02, when it gets light out, get back at you.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Perhaps another member will help out, this is what I found. Matcotools.com Part number HA 145 $20.80
Old 02-03-2009, 11:55 AM
F-Series Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LFCinSA
but how do i know how much i've adjusted the headlight if i've pulled out the assembly? does this mean i have to keep pulling out assembly/adjust/reinstalling until i get the correct adjustment? thanks for the info by the way.
What I did was the whole pull up to a wall thing, then I adjusted one headlight by taking it out and adjusting it and reinstalling til I got it right, then I pulled them both out, and adjusted the other headlight by measuring the lengths of the threads on the already adjusted headlight, and put the second headlight to the same adjustment per my measurements. That got them real close, and I just fine tuned them from there. It didn't take very long. I am unaware of any kind of special tool, would be nice to know that there is an easier way.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 PM

Thumbs up thanks again onefitty...

i'll go ahead and try that suggestion.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:26 PM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I just put different headlights in my 03. It took way more time to adjust them than it did to put them in and so forth. Definately a pain in the butt, but worth the time. I put them in initially when it was like -10 degrees, so I was not worried about the adjustment! WRONG IDEA! Ever tried going like 75 down the highway with headlights that are adjusted like fog lights? scary in white tail country eastern Iowa!!! Needless to say, I spent an hour or so just adjusting them a few days later when it warmed up to a balmy +20 degrees!!! lol

Quick Reply: to adjust headlights..where are adj screws?