Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

ABS light DIY fix was fairly easy

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ABS light DIY fix was fairly easy

Hi all,
Had an ABS light issue on my 2002 F150 SuperCrew 4.6 Triton start a month or so ago. On start, the light test would extinguish for about 1 second and then come on steady and remain on. No noticeable other symptoms.
Ran my OBD II scanner and no codes...realized after a little research that ABS codes are a separate set like airbag codes that can only be read with the higher end readers. Went to AutoZone and the helpful associate used their code reader to read my codes. Gave me a code and the meaning that told me I had a bad wheel speed sensor on the left front. Watched a few YouTubes on other vehicle types. Looked like it was going to be complicated and involve pulling the brake caliper, rotor, messing with wheel bearings.
I bought the new sensor at AutoZone. Dealer didn't have the Ford part in stock and I had to get the fix done the next day.
Realized once I got the tire off that I could access the speed sensor without removing anything else. One 8MM bolt to remove and wiggle out the old sensor from the back of the hub (10 O'clock position). Although a blind removal, was surprisingly easy to get out.
The Speed sensor cable detached easily from the two clips. I followed the cable up inside the engine compartment where the joined connectors were anchored. It was easiest to disconnect them working from below.
New speed sensor was a perfect match and came with new anchor brackets.
I vacuumed out the speed sensor hole in case there was any more rust debris.
New install was fast. Reconnected the battery, started it up and the light went out and stayed out.
I would say knowing what I know now and seeing all the rust debris on the speed sensor magnet tip, I would have troubleshot and cleaned the old sensor tip to see if that fixed it before buying a new sensor. An easy fix in my book.
Pictures attached for anyone looking to make the same fix. Good luck.
Attached Images      
Old 07-11-2015, 11:22 PM

Default 15 amp fuse

My abs lite came on then it would. Not come out of park. Was told sensor but after extensive work. Found a simple 15 amp fuse fixed everything.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy C
My abs lite came on then it would. Not come out of park. Was told sensor but after extensive work. Found a simple 15 amp fuse fixed everything.
What fuse would this happen to be?
Old 07-12-2015, 04:22 PM

Default fuse box under dash / stering wheel.

I was checking all fuses and found 15 amp blown. Changed it and lite went off and released to allow out of park...problem fixed. I am not a mechanic but stumbled over the blown fuse and am very happy with my luck (luck not experience and knowledge). As. Experience mechanic did not know this - I thought I would pass it along. Jc
Old 04-21-2019, 06:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy C
I was checking all fuses and found 15 amp blown. Changed it and lite went off and released to allow out of park...problem fixed. I am not a mechanic but stumbled over the blown fuse and am very happy with my luck (luck not experience and knowledge). As. Experience mechanic did not know this - I thought I would pass it along. Jc
My abs light has been on or 5 days straight.manual says fuse no#'s 16,103 and 112 are abs related fuses.Checked them,theyre good.Which exact fuse number was yours that was blown? I dont mean the number of amps,but the location on fuse box.show me a photo please.had my codes scanned,front right wheel sensor is no good.could be a fuse? cheaper to buy new fuse than sensor.2nd day of abs light being on,heard a loud snapping thud in garage coming from truck.I know its abs related.emergency brake is still intact.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:06 PM

Received 6,466 Likes on 4,604 Posts

This thread is 4 years old.... doubt you're going to hear from him.

By your avatar photo and your signature, I am also guessing you may be in the wrong section. This is for 10th gens 97-03's. I think you're looking for 11th gens.

Quick Reply: ABS light DIY fix was fairly easy