Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

98 F150 won't go! Runs fine, but won't budge, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98 F150 won't go! Runs fine, but won't budge, HELP!

Hey all, first post, probably of many. A friend has a 98 Ford 150 4x4 pickup sitting in his driveway. He bought a new vehicle years ago and hasn't used the ford. He says I can have the F150 for free if I get it out of his driveway. It starts up fine, nothing is majorly wrong with it. The clutch feels fine, and when I looked underneath I could see it pushing the pressure plate in and out. The motor revs up when you hit the gas, but won't move. It doesn't matter what gear you have it in, or where the clutch is - the vehicle won't move. Any ideas what this might be? It has 4 wheel drive, and the 4wd shifter won't move much if at all. I don't know if this would be part of the problem. Please help with any suggestions, if I fix this truck it's mine for free.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:20 PM

Im not really sure what could be wrong with it. but if i were you i would tow it to your house if u can't fix it right away. you can't pass up a free truck like that
Old 09-10-2010, 07:37 PM

transmission
Old 09-10-2010, 08:04 PM

I have yet to pick the dude's brain as to what may be wrong, but he mumbled something about replacing the transmission recently. I will look into that. Yes I cannot pass up a free truck like this. Between the first post and now I have arranged towing from his house to mine. Please help with any more suggestions!
Old 09-10-2010, 08:09 PM

when u let the clutch out does the motor rev down? go under neath and lube the 4wd up maybe in neautral?did he install the clutch? lool
Old 09-10-2010, 10:30 PM

How long has it been sitting without being moved?
If it has been a long time, I say the brakes are locked, meaning the pads are locked (corroded)onto the discs and or drums. I had a 95 Monte sit in the drive for 6 months and the rears locked up, I just rocked it back and forth till the broke free, being careful when they did break free not to run over something or into soemthing.

Will it roll, can you push it to see if the brakes are locked.

Guess you can see if the brakes are locked when it gets towed.

Last edited by sharptp; 09-10-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:20 PM

Alright, I have towed the f150 to my house. Here is the latest... The motor starts up and runs fine. The clutch pedal feels normal and inspection underneath shows that the pressure plate moves in and out. While running, pushing the clutch pedal down makes no change in RPM or sound. The 4wd transfer case doesn't seem to move much, but I don't know if that is bad. Any ideas why this vehicle doesn't want to move? I was about to pull off the transmission, but that's no small task and I don't want to do it if I don't have to.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you seeing the actual pressure plate move in and out????
I suspect the clutch. Just because the activator arm moves does not mean the pressure plate is moving too. If I were you I would go into the clutch assembly and check it out before pulling the transmission. Check the flywheel for oil too, if you have an oil leak it can get on the clutch and flywheel and the clutch face will be ruined. I have heard of clutches getting stuck either closed or open on vehicles that sit for a long time but that is rare, but it can happen.
I guess it could be the tranny but I would check out the clutch first.

Quick Reply: 98 F150 won't go! Runs fine, but won't budge, HELP!