Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

98 F150 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 F150 Build Thread

Hey everyone, brand new here on the forum.
I've got a metallic blue 98 F150 2wd 4.6 V8 that I'd like to start working on and improving upon.
As of now I have almost 0 knowledge on how to do any of this and I guess that's why I'm here.
The truck is almost completely stock, 6 months ago I did a real sloppy job of putting in an aftermarket Kenwood head unit as well as aftermarket speakers. Sounds pretty good but not as good as I'd want it to.
What I'm currently working on is getting wheels and tires, wheels of choice are Raceline Shifts (Machined) and tires are Fallen Wildpeak AT3W.
Anyone who sees this is probably wondering why bother throwing money at an old 2wd truck
a) Not a lot of offroading to do here in Mooresville, NC
b) Only truck I really have access to as it's my first car
I'd just like it be a sweet ride and still have offroad capabilities (to an extent)
My first real question is about lifting it, I'd like to do a 2-3" lift all around and was told the best way to do this is lift spindles in the front and leaf springs in the back.
Anyone else here have any input on that? I'd like to stay away from blocks
Any good brands for spindles and leaf springs? (Not Rough Country please)
I'm not trying to put a ton of money into this, but I feel like $700-800 for a lift is doable.

I have to get some pictures up as she sits curb side now. Some before and after pics will be cool.
This build will definitely not be overnight and will be a little bit in between different things I'm doing.
Wheels and tires are going to be in the next month or so hopefully though.
Thanks for taking the time to read this post, I appreciate anyone willing to help.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:36 AM
Driving the wheels offer

Received 156 Likes on 133 Posts

First step is to get yourself a shop manual - there are some on CD on ebay for not too much. Or you can go old school with paper manuals for a bit more. Get the Ford manuals, not the Chiltons / Haynes / etc.

Those topics you asked about are covered extensively in the sticky comments at the top of the forum page. Make some popcorn and read away.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:29 AM

Just bought a Spectre 9200 Cold air intake, designed for a 4.6/5.4 V8. Pretty excited about it, not entirely sure how many horses I’ll gain from it (if any) but it’s something I’ve been wanting to do for a while.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:11 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by Nils1702
Just bought a Spectre 9200 Cold air intake, designed for a 4.6/5.4 V8. Pretty excited about it, not entirely sure how many horses I’ll gain from it (if any) but it’s something I’ve been wanting to do for a while.
I don't want to burst your bubble, but unless you bought it solely for the bling factor, I'd suggest that if you can return it, do so, and put that money toward maintenance or other more useful mods. If you're looking for an air intake improvement, search for "Gotts Mod," and do this (though without supporting mods, even this is pretty much a placebo).

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of folks with good experience with these trucks, and a library full of info.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:35 PM

Received 6,471 Likes on 4,609 Posts

Ohio is spot on. That Spectre, or ANY so-called cold air intake for that matter, is nothing but marketing genius. In fact, moving the filters source of air into the engine compartment actually has made it a HOT air intake. As Ohio said, research the Gotts Mod, and not only will you save money, you are actually getting COLD air into the motor.

And with these things all said, we haven't even mentioned any of the repercussions involved with running an oiled filter with a MAF sensor.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:06 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

White brings up a good point about the filters. I've re-converted to paper elements in the truck, but am still running a K&N on my Mustang. (Not much choice there, though.)

On your lift question: A full kit or lift spindles and factory 4x4 blocks in the back will be the best way to get the 2" you're looking for. The 4x4's have a block as the stock lift method, so I see no reason not to go that route on yours. (The stock ones do have an over-travel ear on them, though, where aftermarket generally don't.) If you find a set of blocks, but need U-bolts, let me know. I still have the stock ones from my 4x4 2003. I know you said "not Rough Country," but THIS KIT has gotten some decent feedback on the site. Not sure if they sell just the spindles alone.

Wheels/Tires: Unless I missed something, it appears that the wheels you're looking at don't come in the necessary 5x135 bolt pattern. I can't comment on the tires other than to say I've never heard them come up in conversations about tire choice here on the site.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:16 PM

Received 5,543 Likes on 4,622 Posts

Didn't you say "improve upon" ? So what's up with the rookie mistake ? Don't be your trucks worst enemy, run a GOOD intake system.

A suggestion, - question/research first vs the ladder. That's what works...proven system
Old 09-25-2018, 07:16 PM

Received 6,471 Likes on 4,609 Posts

I have a Fram Air Hog on my Mustang - which is oiled. Like you say, not much choice there. But, the EEC-IV is much, much more forgiving if the MAF did get oil on it. I'm too afraid I'd eat cats from running too rich or lean on the truck. Plus - the Stang is not going to have cats much longer.

Probably going to be redoing a lot of this with the swap though.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:55 PM

Thanks for all the replies y'all, seems like a CAI isn't my best option.
I forgot to mention the truck already has the Gotts mod, my brother installed it before it became my truck and he got a Ranger.
I got the intake at a good price though so I think I'll keep it. In reality there probably isn't a huge difference between the Gotts and this CAI.
Thanks for the lift info @OhioLariat I have seen that kit before and it doesn't seem like a horrible option, although I have found the spindles for sale by themselves.
I may go with blocks in the back, either that or leaf springs. Still have time to decide on what's my best option and what route I want to go.
And you're right on there not being any wheels with the same bolt pattern, but I will be running wheel adapters to get them to fit. I'm not a huge fan of hugely spaced wheels though so will be getting the minimum (1.25") available. Running anything more is just too big of a risk for me to break a lug as I was informed by my friend.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:02 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Seriously, do yourself (and your truck) a favor and just sell that Spectre piece.

There are actually a fair number of wheels available with the 5x135 bolt pattern. THIS SITE, for example, has a pretty decent selection. I'd only run adapters as a last resort in order to run a set of something I *really* liked, or already had.

P.S. Keep in mind that springs that lift the rear end will likely ride rougher as well. They'll also be far more expensive than a set of blocks and longer U-bolts. Now, if your springs are saggy and in need of replacement anyway.....

Last edited by OhioLariat; 09-25-2018 at 10:13 PM.

Quick Reply: 98 F150 Build Thread