Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

97' F-150 4.2L V6 - Cranks, no start.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97' F-150 4.2L V6 - Cranks, no start.

I have a 1997 F-150 4.2L V6, and for little over month I've been having the issue of her cranking and not starting. Currently I'm getting no spark to the coil pack or to the spark plugs. I am getting power to the connector for the coil pack.
I'm getting fuel pressure at 40psi from the schrader valve, so fuel isn't my issue. No codes being thrown at the computer either. If I crank her enough she'll eventually start, but only when she wants to. So it's at random, and it'll work for most of the rest of the day.
Next morning, or later in the day she'll just do it to me again.

I also have a two corroding ground wires by the starter, the engine cranks so I don't think that'd be my issue.

Things I have replaced/checked:
Fuses/Relays: No fuses are blown, all relays are good. Even try messing around with them to see if it was my issue, still didn't help.
Fuel Pump: Replaced it about two/three weeks ago.
Fuel Filter: That was replaced about 2k miles ago.
Computer: Brand new, probably 8 months old now.
Wiring Harness: I've had an issue with the harness melting to the passenger exhaust, but since I had the harness repaired and tied out of the way it hasn't been an issue since.
Crankshaft Position Sensor: Just replaced it a couple days ago, still the same result.
Coil Pack: I replaced this just a little over a year ago, thinking that was my issue with the wiring harness, so I tried both the old and new one, still no avail.

I can only think of some sort of wire is broken, or is grounding, but I have not found anything besides those two starter wires that appear to be grounds.
I have no clue what is going on with this truck, any advice or ideas would be appreciated!
Old 09-01-2018, 02:25 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by Spamroach
If I crank her enough she'll eventually start, but only when she wants to. So it's at random, and it'll work for most of the rest of the day.

Coil Pack: I replaced this just a little over a year ago, thinking that was my issue with the wiring harness, so I tried both the old and new one, still no avail.
It kind of sounds like weak spark. The coils need a very good current flow to discharge and charge properly. That would be good power supply and good grounds. I would check all of the wires to and from the coil pack all the way back to the PCM. Any connectors along the way could be a problem. Sometimes grounding is through mounting points also, which can be overlooked.
The following users liked this post:
Spamroach (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by BareBonesXL
It kind of sounds like weak spark. The coils need a very good current flow to discharge and charge properly. That would be good power supply and good grounds. I would check all of the wires to and from the coil pack all the way back to the PCM. Any connectors along the way could be a problem. Sometimes grounding is through mounting points also, which can be overlooked.
Thanks for replying last time, we have found the supposed issue yesterday. We decided to check the ohms to and from the PCM to the Crankshaft Position Sensor, had some weird readings so we made a direct connection from the PCM to the CPS alongside a new CPS connector. So far, have drove her 4 times today and yesterday without any issues, if issue persists will leave more information here if anyone has the same issue!

Quick Reply: 97' F-150 4.2L V6 - Cranks, no start.