Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

5.4 dohc swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 dohc swap

I've been looking into a lot of threads about the 5.4 dohc swap and I can't seem to find a straight forward thread on what to use. I'm going to get the navigator motor from 99-04 and I want to build it for torque. Does anyone know what heads/cams/intake to use? I know some cobras have the 4v in them but all I can find is there more for hp. I've found some threads say the nav heads are best for torque? Just need to be port/polished? And does anyone offer a stroker kit for it?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:34 AM
A7X

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

As far as info on this subject I can't help ya but check with these guys.
http://www.dssracing.com/D_S_S_Stroker_Kits_s/4.htm
Old 10-23-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

use the 01-02 engine harness along with pcm, then use a 01-02 navigator 4v engine. the 03 navigator went to a drive by wire and has a different bus system.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:51 PM

5.4 dohc motors have great torque they dont rev really high tho it would be a really cool project just buy cobra heads they will bolt on you just have to get a different intake manifold and a different pully setup along with a alternator you can pull those heads off alot of cars including like a lincoln mark 8 but the heads you should get are cobra C heads i think those are the better 4v heads. if you already have the 5.4 dont swap the bottom end unless your gonna throw boost at it just get the heads and a tune you will save time and money
Old 10-24-2011, 12:09 AM

So I was looking at a page i found explaining all the different 4v heads and the 03 dohc heads are the best, but those came on 4.6. They will fit 5.4s?? And why can't I use my PCM? The wiring harness for the 4v should plug into the rest of my wiring, all I need is someone to tune it which is no problem. And I'm planning on gettin the nav motor and build it up then swap it over, I still want to drive my truck till I get ready to swap it.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:59 AM

i know those heads will bolt up but you need to change a couple things around as for the navigator motor you would probably need the computer from the donor car as well just cause there are probably a couple of sensors that are on that motor that are needed dont bother with the navigator motor that the 4v heads and put them on the bottom end of your 5.4 cause i would bet that the navigator motor has a lower compression ratio you would make good power and not kill your wallet
Old 10-25-2011, 01:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by heathmeador
So I was looking at a page i found explaining all the different 4v heads and the 03 dohc heads are the best, but those came on 4.6. They will fit 5.4s?? And why can't I use my PCM? The wiring harness for the 4v should plug into the rest of my wiring, all I need is someone to tune it which is no problem. And I'm planning on gettin the nav motor and build it up then swap it over, I still want to drive my truck till I get ready to swap it.
One because your own vehicle won't understand what engine it sees and what engine you really have. Your current PCM will need reprogrammed to understand the engine it is running, and if you are going to be getting the engine from the Mustang then I would highly go against using that PCM from the Mustang. That PCM won't even understand that it is inside of a truck, and a lot more reprogramming will be necessary to fix that one.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by BolletuH
One because your own vehicle won't understand what engine it sees and what engine you really have. Your current PCM will need reprogrammed to understand the engine it is running, and if you are going to be getting the engine from the Mustang then I would highly go against using that PCM from the Mustang. That PCM won't even understand that it is inside of a truck, and a lot more reprogramming will be necessary to fix that one.

yea thats what i said just reprogram the pcm i have, its easy. And im not getting a mustang motor i said i was getting the navigator motor becuase i can pick it and the wiring up for bout $800, Then get 03+ DOHC heads that have already been port/polish, also the intake, and that stroker kit from DSS that the other guy posted. All i need now is to find some cams for it, yall know any good brands?? Anyways im thinking it will be in the ball park of 450-500hp to the wheels... when i get my software in ill build it on my computer and post the results of it.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by thepuma
i know those heads will bolt up but you need to change a couple things around as for the navigator motor you would probably need the computer from the donor car as well just cause there are probably a couple of sensors that are on that motor that are needed dont bother with the navigator motor that the 4v heads and put them on the bottom end of your 5.4 cause i would bet that the navigator motor has a lower compression ratio you would make good power and not kill your wallet

I dont know if you have ever heard of alldata but you can lookup anything for any car, so when i have time this week ill look up the sensors for the 2 motors and how there wired up. Only senor i think would be different is the CMP. but i should be able to use my pcm and the engine wiring from the navigator.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have alldata, and all the discs, you'd be surprised how much is not in there.

Quick Reply: 5.4 dohc swap