Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

5.4 coolant leak by the intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5.4 coolant leak by the intake manifold

Hello everyone. I noticed the smell of antifreeze while driving when I checked I can see the puddle of coolant at the underneath the intake manifold were the knock sensors go( i believe that is the name of the sensor). I can also see some partially wet antifreeze around the injector for #1. I cleaned majority of the leaked antifreeze and started the truck up. I doesn't look like it is a big leak at the moment as the reservoir is just about 1/4 inch under normal level. I started the truck and with a mirror and light I started to look around to locate were the leak is coming from . I can see it is coming from the from of the intake manifold by were the metal coolant crossover that is part of the intake. It is dripping one small drop about every 2-3 seconds at idle. The problem is that from I can see it is leaking between the metal crossover and the plastic portion of the intake itself and not from the gasket between the block(i might be wrong with names, sorry if i am) and the intake manifold.

Is my understanding that if it is leaking in that location i will have to buy a new intake manifold as they don't sell a gasket for that area. How hard is to remove the intake? I have done in the past when i LS1 firebird and it wasn't too hard just time consuming. Do I need to get the intake and gaskets original from Ford? Since i have to remove the intake I heard is good idea to replace the oring at the coolant tube that runs underneath the intake. Is this true? If it is what is the name of this oring and does anyone was a part number?

I have ford dealership 15 mins from the house. I have to take care of during the week or this weekend. In the mean time I will keep topping off the coolant level and cleaning the excess. Thanks in advance. the truck is a 2001 5.4L 2wd with 180k

Last edited by jayta98; 10-28-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:11 PM

I seen they make two aftermarket intake manifold replacement. one by Dorman 615-188 and APDTY 726299. If you recommend the oEM part can I only get it at the dealer or could someone give me a part number please to check online? Thanks.

Also which tool do you recommend to disconnect the fuel rail hose? Last time i needed to disconnect it i tried using a plastic kit and couldn't get it out.

Last edited by jayta98; 10-28-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

PM me the last 8 of your trucks VIN#. i can get a PN from work for you tomorrow
Old 10-29-2015, 04:49 PM
A7X

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Been there before...
4.5 hours from start and I was on a test drive... I used my dewalt impact to zip everything apart and back together, minus things with torque specs/patterns obviously... easy job with the right tools, I just moved the fuel rails out of the way, vacuumed coolant from the manifold before removing used the Dorman product to reinstall which has gaskets installed on it and came with a new thermostat, $175.00 for the one part and I was done...

5.4 coolant leak by the intake manifold-forumrunner_20151029_164329.png

All because of a little piece of plastic broke and let the seal fall in

5.4 coolant leak by the intake manifold-forumrunner_20151029_164406.png

Last edited by A7X; 10-29-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by A7X
Been there before...
4.5 hours from start and I was on a test drive... I used my dewalt impact to zip everything apart and back together, minus things with torque specs/patterns obviously... easy job with the right tools, I just moved the fuel rails out of the way, vacuumed coolant from the manifold before removing used the Dorman product to reinstall which has gaskets installed on it and came with a new thermostat, $175.00 for the one part and I was done...

Attachment 399574

All because of a little piece of plastic broke and let the seal fall in

Attachment 399575
Yup that look close to were the area i see the leak coming from. I'mgoing tomorrow to my buddy's shop. He is ordering the dorman intake for me and let lting me work in his shop. I was trying to change the coolant tube o-ring (the tube underneath the intake) but it doesn't look like it is available anywere. I can't get it tomorrow. It is not leaking from there but i need the truck back running.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue last October. Replaced the stock intake with the Dorman intake, which I highly recommend. They've addressed the issue and have come up with a superb product.
I replaced mine in a weekend. If you've got some mechanical skills and label everything, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:59 PM

I ended up with the dorman replacement. I couldn't get the lower coolant tube o-ring in stock anywhere. Took me about 6 hrs going slow but everything went well. The old one had the typical internal plastic failure close the front passenger side. Thanks for the feedback and recommendation.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by teambogus
I had the same issue last October. Replaced the stock intake with the Dorman intake, which I highly recommend. They've addressed the issue and have come up with a superb product.
I replaced mine in a weekend. If you've got some mechanical skills and label everything, you shouldn't have a problem.
I had to do the same thing to my 5.4 almost a year ago. Fixed both the leak and the dual "P" CEL's for airflow I had. No issues with it since.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by harm63
I had to do the same thing to my 5.4 almost a year ago. Fixed both the leak and the dual "P" CEL's for airflow I had. No issues with it since.
now that you mentioned that I have noticed the truck idling better and better response. The original gasket didn't look good at all. Now I have to work on my PO401 code.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:52 PM

im going to order the coolant tube o-ring and keep in stock in my garage. if it ever starts leaking at least i have the part already.

Quick Reply: 5.4 coolant leak by the intake manifold