Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

4.6 Romeo motor F150, What motors work?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 4.6 Romeo motor F150, What motors work?!!!

I'm new to the forum so first and foremost I would like to say thanks for having me. Now that being said, here's what I've got.....

1997 F150 XLT 4x4 extended cab with the 4.6 Motor (W vin# so it's the Romeo motor) I Threw a rod and busted a hole in the block and I've got some questions about motor options.

Now I KNOW the obvious difference in the Romeo and Windsor motors, the romeo being 6 bolt flywheel and the Windsor being 8. I have a 2 real separate questions. Is the Windsor ONLY 8 bolt because all car-part searches I do give me an options for a 6 and 8 bolt 4.6 windsor (6 Vin code) motors....

My NEXT question would be, it's hard to find a romeo motor soooo I may have to go with a 4.6 windsor OR possibly a 5.4 if it is about the same hassle. What problems am I going to run into if I put a Windsor 4.6 into the truck?

- Are the wiring harnesses the same? Plug and play?
- If it is a 6 bolt windsor do I need to get the flywheel part to bolt to my trans or will it go right on?
- I MAY end up getting a 4.6 from a crown vic or something similar since the Romeo motors are for cars anyhow. What parts do I need to swap from my motor to make it the same as what I previously had.

I think that covers my whole inquiry, sorry if it's a little much all at once but I'm just REALLY confused about all of this and really just want to get started and back in my truck again

Quick Reply: 4.6 Romeo motor F150, What motors work?!!!