Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

4.6 rattle & knocking

Old 01-30-2019, 12:47 AM

Default 4.6 rattle & knocking

Maybe you guys can steer me in the right direction. Recently, some strange noises from my engine started me down a road to repair whatever is going on. The noise sounds like my old K5 blazer did when the vacuum advance stopped working on the HEI distributor.....knocking, clattering, or rattling under any acceleration. I only hear it driving, not able to recreate any noises in the driveway.

This is a 2000 XLT S-cab with the original 4.6 Romeo engine. Everything is still stock with 226,000 miles driven only by me since new. Motorcraft platinum plugs(30k miles on them), Accel COP's(same miles as plugs), & I've chased all the vac tubes I can reach(replaced a couple) & chased the ignition & sensor wires. Only oddball wiring issue I can find is a 2-wire harness behind the PS pump that seems to have nowhere to plug in(it's loomed into the wires that go down to the oil pressure switch).

The knocking, etc started in early December, & I haven't driven it but just a few miles here & there, so it sits for days at a time. I mention this because I get a puff of oil smoke on start-up sometimes(but not always)when it sits for awhile. It will sometimes continue to puff from one cylinder until it warms up. It always fires right up on cold start(puff or no puff), idles smooth but not perfect. Drop it into drive with brake on & it's a little more rough but not bad. Only one code has been thrown since this began...EGR pressure sensor imbalance(I replaced the sensor & cleared the code).

I'm not sure how long the timing chain guides & tensioners can go on these engines, but with the noise described above plus the mileage I decided to replace the chains, sprockets, guides & tensioners. While in there I also went ahead & put in a new Melling oil pump. All went well, but it was disappointing to find no significant wear on the old guides & the tensioners still snug(I've got a few pics if anyone interested). I changed the oil & filter, primed the new oil pump, filled the new filter, etc.

After all was done the engine started on the 1st crank. Quite a bit of oil smoke, I presume from leak down around some right side valve guides(I dosed both sides pretty good before installing the covers). I pulled all the plugs & both upstream o2 sensors to find black deposits on #2, #3, & the right side o2. Cleaned up the plugs & replaced both upstream o2's. Now the truck runs exactly like it did before I started the timing job.

Any ideas what's going on?
Old 01-30-2019, 07:16 AM

These engines are particular about some parts for some reason- Motorcraft COPs,(or Denso) Motorcraft plugs, pcv valves, all perform better than aftermarket.
Imho, first, i would go to the local auto parts store and see if its holding any codes, then i would think about cheap gas, especially if this issue arised shortly after a fill up. I think, then,if it was me, i would change out the COPs for M/C.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:05 AM

It may take a few drive cycles for the PCM to throw a code. Especially since you cleared the last EGR code. Within reason, and if you feel comfortable driving it without causing further damage, it may benefit you to drive it until another code pops up. If you have access to a more sophisticated scanner, you can see MODE6 data and maybe that will show you something. I know Fords are notorious for taking forever to throw a code for an obvious misfire unless its a DEAD miss. a Slightly worn COP or plug itself can take forever to throw a proper misfire code. Just my $0.02
Old 01-30-2019, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by rcairbear View Post
...i would go to the local auto parts store and see if its holding any codes...
I picked up a scanner over the weekend & plugged it in this afternoon....there was one pending code...PO443 evap purge control valve
Old 01-30-2019, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by skbishop90 View Post
....Within reason, and if you feel comfortable driving it without causing further damage, it may benefit you to drive it until another code pops up....
The truck sounds terrible under any acceleration. so I won't be driving it daily. I'm driving it every other day or 2 just to keep things lubed.

I decided to order a new set of COP's(walmart had Denso at a good price), plus I scanned the truck this afternoon & got a pending DTC...evap purge control valve.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:14 AM

EVAP purge valve shouldnt cause that condition.

If it has that bad of a noise and misfire, it should eventually throw a code. A simple handheld scanner may not be able to monitor misfires per cylinder, but that would be your best bet. check your plugs too. These motors are notorious for blowing a plug out. Surely you would notice that but just throwing out ideas.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:17 AM

Are you sure the noise if coming from the engine? Check the catalytic converters. They can make a rattle noise sometimes and would cause a lack of power.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:00 AM

EVAP purge valve shouldnt cause that condition.
it won't
These motors are notorious for blowing a plug out.
they are. but if it blew out a plug he would definitely know it buy the sound.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:26 PM

EVAP purge valve shouldnt cause that condition.....check your plugs too..... just throwing out ideas.
Yes, I didn't expect the purge valve to cause my issues....just putting out there what's gone on. I actually did pull all the COP's & plugs again today to see the condition of the plugs. All were clean except #2 since the last time I pulled 'em(about a week ago).
Old 02-01-2019, 07:29 PM

Are you sure the noise if coming from the engine?
Definitely from the engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.6 rattle & knocking

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: